• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cartridge recycling woes - Challenge: Canadian

genericname

I figured this was an individual enough issue to not revive any of the older threads on the subject of cartridge recycling.

I can't find of a decent way to dispose of these bloody things (Mimaki 440ml SS2 carts). I used to go through solvencartridges.com, but they've changed not just contacts on me a couple times, but also prices, despite their informational PDF not reflecting the changes, and now tell me that they not only don't accept my cartridges, but never did.

After that, I decided to try out Trimark Media, who offered $0.30 on the cart, but when I enquired about actually getting a shipment to them, they simply didn't reply with the necessary information, and then stopped replying entirely.

I refuse to simply throw these toxic things in the garbage, and can't believe that we're so backward up here that nobody sees the profitability in cartridge recycling. Everywhere else in the world, they treat it as part of a supply chain for an end product, but here they treat it as a service, where the operator needs to pay to have cartridges disposed of, as if trying to be environmentally concious is supposed to entail an expense.

On the flip side, I have no problem with the idea of donating the carts to some kind of charity drive organization, but because of the inverse attitude we have towards recycling, they're few and far between, and those that are around, don't accept solvent carts anyway.

Any Canucks out there know of reliable companies or organizations that can take these off of my hands? Shipping them half way across the continent is not an option... kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save a little cash, and be green while doing it.

genericname

do y'all have staples up there?

edit: staples the store, not the little metal dealy

Yeah, as would be expected though, they don't offer any credit per cart, and no matter which Staples I go to, I've never received a straight answer about whether or not they would accept our carts.

genericname

No dice I'm afraid, jhill. The Canadian Staples runs things entirely differently, and doesn't offer any kind of cash back, even in the form of rewards or store credit. Thanks though.

CanuckSigns

I've been looking for something similar, have yet to find anything up here. Staples won't take them as it's an american promotion. Have you tried contacting some of the ink and media suppliers? There was talk of all graphics supplies offering this about a year ago, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

genericname

Yeah, Mimaki has a program, though it's only in the US and they don't pay a cent, let alone cover shipping, while they laugh all the way to the bank. Our local supplier doesn't have a program at all, though I've been told I'm not the first to inquire about it.

genericname

I had been looking too, and found this one.
Haven't used them yet, so not sure how well it works.
Bottom right side of this page > > > http://solventcartridges.com/

As mentioned before, I had been using them for a while. While the informational PDF on their site hasn't changed, much in the service has.

Originally they were giving me something like $0.75 per cart, cash. Then they changed it to credit on their products only. When I finally inquired about using our carts as credit towards their cleaning solution, a completely new person started contacting me, telling me that they don't accept my cartridges, even though they're clearly listed.

Give 'em a shot if you like jumping through hoops with no end result.

genericname

What's the big deal of just throwing them in your dumpster?

Take your pick:

1. Solvent inks are harmful to the environment, and every form of life.

2. If there are services willing to pay you for them, you're throwing money away.

3. In most places, they're considered commercial or industrial waste, making just throwing them out illegal, possibly costing you more money down the line.

I'm waiting on an official response from Staples Canada right now, regarding the possibility of just tossing them in their cartridge recycling bins. Because of the size of solvent carts, and the composition of the ink, I didn't want to just take the word of some part timer there, who reluctantly shrugs his shoulders, saying "well, it's plastic, so why not?"

I won't be financially compensated that way, which is ridiculous, considering the American branch of the same company does it differently, but at least they'll be out of my hair, and we won't have to pay for a commercial disposal service.

signswi

So dumping my solvent waste down a sewer isin't a good idea I take it.

Good thing the lake currents go south not north...

Organic solvents are some of the most carcinogenic substances on the planet, you won't want that stuff in the water. Cancer rates are skyrocketing as it is.

Hopefully you're just trolling...