• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Pocketing / Hatching help.

DrunknMonk

Hey all, we have put a CNC router in our works (UK), we where trained up on the basic works of the machine & software.

Moving forward we want to start doing more signage, we currently do more commercial vehicles.

We have made a aluminium box with push through acrylic letters all illuminated with LED's, Halo effect.

process:- Dibond Tray sign, v grove and cut to shape, cut the letters out of the face panel, cut 5mm acrylic letters to push through then mounted them on to 5mm squares to stop them falling through the face, bonded these in side the tray, then applied black vinyl to the face of the acrylic letters so we can get a slight halo around them.

I think it looks ok and im sure you will tell me there is a better way to make this type of sign I hope :)

A college said to make it better / faster, make the letters from 8mm acrylic and hatch / pocket them, so after a bit of Googling, we tried.

The software we have won't allow us to do this so downloaded some demo software to try it, sign / vinyl master, EnRoute, Aspire V Carve.
We have to use our CNC software to actual do the cutting, so we exported the files to DXF, we got it to work kind of, but its very hit and miss to get it right, tool bit size, tool offset, hatch offset, flange offset.

So the question is do I need to make them this way (hatching / pocketing) because its a headache to get right, & I need to purchase the software.

How many of you do it this way, is there another way to do this, I know people have there own ways of making signs, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 7ae30c54-ec9d-43ed-8ac4-e065d41b5edf.jpg
    7ae30c54-ec9d-43ed-8ac4-e065d41b5edf.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 295
  • 321909218_2982247188738120_2979559567871684561_n.jpg
    321909218_2982247188738120_2979559567871684561_n.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9045.jpeg
    IMG_9045.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 148

johnnysigns

I use V-carve pro on my stuff. Have you checked if they offer a post for your brand of CNC? How does your software define flange offset and hatch offset?

DrunknMonk

I use V-carve pro on my stuff. Have you checked if they offer a post for your brand of CNC? How does your software define flange offset and hatch offset?
V carve can't support it as its a Digital cutter with 4 heads, conveyor belt driven. the software we have doesn't do it either so been using 3rd party and saving as DXF files and re importing