• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant COLEX is on my S**T LIST

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
So, as many of you know...I was very happy with my Colex cutting table and router. Now, they are on the sh*t list. Last year, camera problems....freezing issues....having to cancel and try to get the camera to see the marks and all. Freezing constantly and causing major delays and such. We requested and paid for on site service to replace the USB cable and do whatever fixes were necessary to achieve a smooth workflow once again. The table worked fine for a time. Now in January, every other job is freezing due to the camera. The frames...even with a slower fps rate on the cam....are freezing once again and driving us bonkers. Put a call in, and their response is this:

"Sorry for the inconvenience cause by the camera issues.

We tried to call you at 908 ### #### on Jan. 27th 2:53pm EST, but it says the voicemail box is full and cannot accept the messages.

We reccommend to order and install the Ethernet camera cable kit with Etherner to USB adapters. It should solve the issues with the camera.

Please follow the link https://tracker.phaseware.com/Colex/SolutionFAQ.aspx?id=100 and download the PDF instructions for installing the Ethernet cable camera kit (it's in the attachment section of the webpage).

Give us a call when you get this message and we'll provide more info.

Thank you, stay safe and have a good day."

Apparently, we need to Purchase their UPGRADE NOW in order to get it to work correctly? Not happy at all as this should be a retroactive fix for an issue they OWN.

Ill let you know how this goes.....
sorry to hear about that camera issue, the usb cables are durable to a point, depending on environment that can be affected, how much the table is run daily, Heat & a host of other factors. The ethernet upgrades are exactly that, an upgrade, similar to a phone upgrade, Your phone probably works great but the newer versions are always better. We offer the ethernet as an alternative for a longer life vs the USB. give us a call to discuss further when you have a moment.

Print1

Bill
we ALWAYS use shielded usb's and other cables

my largest client has dual 84" touchboards

the HDMI cables i had the electrician run from the data closet are over 5/8" in diameter & heavily shielded

can't say i am surprised except that colex was careless on this issue
The IGUS assembly on the colex chassis is the issue and no amount of cabling will fix it, USB is a horrible carrier in this environment, the upgraded cat6 shielded cables have been very promising. Me having run them for a decade and installed them for 3 years I have a pretty good handle on the issue

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
The ethernet cable is twisted pairs...if it's properly shielded, even better but just the twisting helps a lot with noise. Been there with noise issues, it sucks big time!

greysquirrel

Bill, Had the same issue on a 1 year old unit...the problem is not the USSB...been down that road...not the usb, not the main data cable...otusb ports...what fixed it for us is a small filter that they sold me for $19 that I installed on the connection end at the camera itself. Ill look for a photo for it...but that is what you need...

Print1

Bill, Had the same issue on a 1 year old unit...the problem is not the USSB...been down that road...not the usb, not the main data cable...otusb ports...what fixed it for us is a small filter that they sold me for $19 that I installed on the connection end at the camera itself. Ill look for a photo for it...but that is what you need...
Ferrite will cover the issue, it took us 100’s of units and cables to find the solution at the factory. Using cat over usb is quite literally the only solution in the touptek camera (blue) the older AV analog version actually held up better due to the solid core copper. Usb loses 5% over footage which also is a pain.
Opting to go into a blue USB port on the board also helps but again the boost in power only covers the issues.

Print1

At some point and time someone prob ran half the table. I’d buy the other 3 and replace at the same time. If you need someone to do it I work on them

Graphic Realm

#6 was the first to go so I might consider that, but then #1 and now #3. All within 6 weeks. Only 3-1/2 years old and not heavy production

victor bogdanov

I started having camera issue too, was freezing about once per week to now multiple times per day, re-seated all connections with no help

I already have the USB/ethernet set up and now Colex is suggesting I upgrade to a newer system they have as they are not carrying parts for the usb/ethernet version and the newer system I'm guessing is better

I was able to order all of the cables/converters on my own and will start replacing as soon as they arrive and will also purchase the newest system Colex is using.

IMO this could/should be fixed with a software update, the camera connection is lost for a split second. Don't make the whole machine freeze up over the camera losing connection for a millisecond when it is not super critical for the camera to have 100% uptime. Very annoying resetting everything multiple times per day.

Also not sure why there isn't a wireless option, I'm sure could stick out a nice big antenna out of the tool carriage and software updates that can handle a signal loss

I stuck a gopro to the tool carriage to test wireless concept and it streamed to my phone wireless no problem

Last edited: