• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Match

ad41061

I customer handed me a paper coffee cup that has his color on it but he does not know the pantone code for it, is it possible to scan the cup with Xrite Eye-One model

Thank you for your help

AD

You can take color measurements from physical objects with an i1 Pro spectrophotometer. The device will capture LAB values which can then be associated with the closest Pantone, or directly through the creation of a new spot color (non Pantone) in the design tool & RIP.

Last edited:

signage

you young guys and all your nifty electronic devices......what happens when it breaks, us old guy will still be able to the job done:doh:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
do you not have a PMS swatch book? would that not be the easiest way? my swatchbooks are older than some of the people here, but they still work well.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
I customer handed me a paper coffee cup that has his color on it but he does not know the pantone code for it, is it possible to scan the cup with Xrite Eye-One model

Thank you for your help

AD
The simplest thing to do is to use your eye one to get an L*a*b* measurement for the color,
and then create a spot color entry in your media configuration / print environment in your rip.

To proceed according to finding the closest Pantone, Pantone Color Manager software
in combination with your Eye One can help.

Since you own an eye one- you get to use this software at no charge.

Download links for windows and mac:
https://www.pantone.com/media/downloads/software/Pantone_Color_Manager_Windows.zip for windows
https://www.pantone.com/media/downloads/software/Pantone_Color_Manager_Mac.zip for mac

After you get Pantone Color Manager installed and running, you click on the eye one icon in the
Pantone Color Manager software. Be sure that your eye one is on its calibration plate.

The way you find the nearest Pantone color is to create your own color palette in Pantone Color Manager,
selecting the appropriate fan deck (usually solid coated or uncoated), and then when the palette is
created- you put your eye one on the color and press the measurement button on your eye one.
Pantone Color Manager will then provide the closest match it can determine.

Eyeballing may well yield an adequate match- but since you do have an eye one- you can take advantage of
the two approaches I mentioned.

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Y'all are getting pretty technical here about matching these pantones to some guys coffee cup. I'm sure who ever made the cups took extreme measures to get that color right too.