• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Commercial grade silicone adhesive?

threeputt

I've been instructed to use "commercial grade" silicone adhesive to mount the pads to the back of DiBond letters for an outside installation. This info was from the manufacturer of the letters.

What I'm in a quandary about is that particular designation. Is there some sort of difference in silicone adhesives?

Differentiating commercial grade from, what? homeowner's grade?

Any help is appreciated greatly.

TimToad

We have been using LEXEL for some time and it isn't a silicone based product at all, but is far superior in many respects.

It is a co-polymer rubber sealant and adhesive that once cured is anywhere from 10-20 times stronger than typical silicone caulking. It costs more, but I find the advantages are worth it.

Unlike silicone, its paintable, so you can use it near painted edges or areas if need be. It works well on just about any material and actually dries much clearer than silicone, in case some pushes out and you can't easily clean it up.

Chuck Peterson

silicone

I too, use Lexel when I need something to stay forever. You will not be able pull it off, ever. But be neat with it, it doesn't just wipe off like silicone. I do use silicone more often. SignMart has their name brand that works good. I can usually tell by price. If it's real cheap, don't use it.

visual800

just go to lowes and get the 100% GE silicone, pay no attention to these specs, sometimes common sense overrules specs

FS-Keith

we use CR laurence for silicone, they have removable tips and arguably the best quality silicone in the industry, we buy it by the case and it works out to just over 3 bucks a tube

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Silicone is available as acetic cure and neutral cure (recommended when working with masonry). GE sells these as GE I and GE II, respectively.

While it has adhesive qualities, silicone is technically a sealant - not an adhesive. If you've ever removed acrylic signs that were installed with silicone, the silicone can often easily be peeled off the back and in some cases, leaves zero residue. The same can be said with its adhesive ability to zero and low-voc paints. Silicone will often peel right off it.

Lexel is an adhesive and is better than silicone in most, if not all, aspects for sign installations.

Marlene

did a search to find a where to buy Lexel and am not getting anything but some hardware stores in Mass. is there any larger place like Lowes or a sign supplier that sells this?

CanuckSigns

anyone in Canada ever seen Lexel? I've tried looking in the past and noone has any, I can get it on Amazon for $42 a tube if I want...