• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Connect Roland GX-24 with Versaworks

Lo-Kado

Hello
We are new at this forum and already have learned a lot and read interesting things that can help us. Thank you for that!
We own a Roland BN-20 printer and a Roland GX-24 plotter.
Normally we do not use the GX-24 any more, but now we have a lot of printing and cutting jobs and like to use this machine again.
Then we can print with the BN-20 and let de GX-24 do all the cutting work with the crop marks.

We do have an issue with our GX-24 in Versaworks. We cannot seem to connect the GX-24 with Versaworks.
The printer status in Versaworks is always "unkown".

gx24.PNG

The plotter works and has connection with the computer, because in the cutstudio we can do a cutting job.
Does anyone of you had the same troubles and did you get to solve it?
If so, how? We would be very grateful if you could help us out with this.

Kind regards!

Benny

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, as far as I know you can't run the GX-24 from versaworks which is crazy and drove us absolutely nuts. The print and cut set up is kind of a joke and we never got it to work. That being said it's a great little cutter... Ours is actually having issues and we just replaced it with a 63" Mimaki but other than that it was great. Strange thing is that our Mimaki can't be run from Rasterlink (Mimaki's version of Versaworks) and we're in the same boat on that cutter too.

Jester

Slow is Fast
We run a VG2 and a GX-24 on Versaworks 6 without difficulty.
Other versions of Versaworks may have different limitations. IIRC, Versaworks 6 will only connect to one cutter at a time. I'm unsure how many VW "slots" a BN-20 might use.

Creek Bank

It will work, that is a combo that I run. Can't remember how I got it to work, I remember uninstalling the GS-24 several times before I found a sequence that worked. Seems like did the search first for GS-24 with USB unhooked then plugged it in an it found it... not sure.
Make sure you have multiple printers set in preferences. Even if you are just doing a vinyl cut you need to import and rip under the BN-20 and then drag it to the GS-24 Job list.
Another note. The GS-24 printer status will say "Setup Incomplete" until you load media then it will say "Ready"

Last edited:

Lo-Kado

It will work, that is a combo that I run. Can't remember how I got it to work, I remember uninstalling the GS-24 several times before I found a sequence that worked. Seems like did the search first for GS-24 with USB unhooked then plugged it in an it found it... not sure.
Make sure you have multiple printers set in preferences. Even if you are just doing a vinyl cut you need to import and rip under the BN-20 and then drag it to the GS-24 Job list.
Another note. The GS-24 printer status will say "Setup Incomplete" until you load media then it will say "Ready"
Thank you Creek Bank, but it is a GX-24, not the GS-24. And there seems to be the problem. Our technician of our supplier is occupied with it, after several attempts, still no solution. He is in contact with Roland now to solve it. If the GX-24 is possible to work with Versaworks 6 and Windows 10. We shall see.

Lo-Kado

I had the same setup as well, it worked flawlessly. Your GX is connected via USB, correct? Maybe try reinstalling the driver for it.
Hey Vondegroot, did you also used Versaworks 6 and windows 10? We have tried it several times to reinstall the drivers, even change de firmware versions. No succes so far.

vondegroot

Hey Vondegroot, did you also used Versaworks 6 and windows 10? We have tried it several times to reinstall the drivers, even change de firmware versions. No succes so far.
Yes indeed Win10, VW6. But it has to be connected via USB. I couldn't get it to work via serial connection :(

autotecart

does versaworks have the ability to print and cut stickers using the gx-24? and if so how does it set up its targets to print out onto a epson 7880 large format prints

Color Envy

My advice would be to forget VW for the GX24 and use cutstudio. Set up the plugin for illustrator or Corel and you dont even need to open cutstudio once you get it set up. You send it straight from illustrator or corel. Super easy and fast. With VW, you have to rip it and then drag it into the GX24 and set it up etc. Its just so much easier and cleaner to run your cutter straight from your design software.