• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Continue printing after End Of Roll error

Peter_N

I sometimes get an "End of roll" error on my Mutoh VJ1624 although there's still a lot of media on the roll.
This is extremely frustrating when printing large banners.
Today I was printing a double side block out banner, and half way into on "page 2" my printer said End Of Roll and stopped.
Does anybody know if there is ANY way to force a continue without aborting and changing media.
(I've seen the tip about covering the sensor, so I will do that in the future)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I have the same printer. I don't think there is a way to get it to continue. Maybe one of the Mutoh gurus knows different, . My economy model Graphtec plotter will resume. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do with firmware update or patch or something. I ended up just keeping the tape over the sensor after it stopped a couple of times running 3M IJ. Must have been more than just me complaining. 3M toned down their big dark sensor tripping liner logo to pale gray on the latest rolls.
There is not a lot of downside to covering the rear sensor. I keep pretty close tabs on the material rolls and know when I am going to be within a yard or so of running out.
Good luck with this.

wayne k
guam usa

Simon Duggan

Hi

I had this problem especially with banner material, the problem is the banner material sticks to itself on the roll, and when it feeds through the printer it put a small like wave which lifts up from the sensor so it thinks it is out of roll.

My solution was quite simple, I would load a roll of material and let the printer go through the setup stage, then unroll enough material to almost reach the floor, the weight of this material pulls the banner material apart when feed through the printer so keeping it tight to the bed where the sensors are located. Usually once you have unrolled this amount it should print the whole roll but I do keep an eye on it just in case.

Hope this works for you.

Simon

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
We have two 1624's and got sick of getting this error. To solve it, we covered up the sensor on the back of the machine with some vinyl. A little tricky to get in there and do, but really saves the headache.

Just be sure to watch your media/prints on end-rolls and short runs to make sure you don't *bingo* your material. The printers really don't like hitting the end of a roll.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I know a lot of my customers cover the sensor with tape but you can also adjust the sensor in the service mode. As stated above, the material is just buckling up and letting light into the sensor. Unfortunately, you can't restart a print after this error because the printer technically won't have any idea where to start the next line.