• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

contour cutting window perf

MikeD

Been searching old threads but couldn't find what I'm looking for...

What plotters do you all use to contour cut window graphics printed on perforated vinyl? It's been hit or miss with lots of plotters I've worked with because the registration marks don't completely print on the perforated material. Sometimes they can't be detected at all and I have to go over the marks with a sharpie.
What techniques have you all had success with?
I'm solvent printing, and use Graphtec, Mimaki and Summa plotters. We also use Gerber Edge equipment with a bomb sight, and a Summa DC4 that both make cutting easy (especially the Summa,) but prefer to use the cheaper solvent inks.

Thanks for sharing your insight and experience!

CP Signs

Are you just supplying the print or installing? If installing why contour cut it? We just trim it on the window.

MikeD

We get LOTS of requests for ~12" SQ logos to print on perforated vinyl; like an FSU Seminole head or University of Florida Gator Head with a contour cut.
We contour cut and then bag the decal; customer installs

Letterbox Mike

We contour cut a lot of perf on our Summa S160 plotter with no problems at all. It has their OPOS-X registration sensor which has always worked flawlessly for us. I would imagine their OPOS-CAM sensor would read marks even better on perf, but to my knowledge ours has never had a hard time finding them on 50/50 or 70/30 material.

MikeD

laminating makes sense as it would provide a solid printing surface, but we don't want to pay for the lam (material, time & labor.)

We used to use the OposCam, but as far as I know, Opos Cam doesn't work with the bar codes that reference the cut file.

I'm going to switch one of the units (S-75) to Opos-X and give that a try.

Thanks for the advice!

MikeD

the S75 could only read 5 out of 6 marks surrounding my print. Wish I could make the marks larger!

MikeD

yep... The graphtec mark is looking to be the easiest due to it's shape and the fact that we can make the marks fatter and longer as opposed to the smaller marks of some other plotters.

edgette

My fc8000 won't pick up the marks on the perf or with some other materials. I take scrap white vinyl and lay it over the marks and redraw them with a sharpie.