• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Contractor Bids

dlndesign

My shop is apart of bluebook in california. We've done well with having it and its more than paid for itself. We came to the conclusion that we just do not have enough time on our hands to look over plans and get the required information that we need to bid a job, and within the timeframe some contractors give us.

I am wondering, is there a service or a type of person who would do something like this for a wage? Meaning, is there someone I could hire and have just work only on bids that I get from bluebook. Or should this be something that I should invest my time in learning the ins and outs of?

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks.

John L

You may need to advertise that you are hiring an experienced estimator. They are in great demand now and a good one just won't work on straight commision, expects benefits, etc etc. You will still need to reserve time to check and double check anything any estimator proposes in your business name or there will be major regrets later.

Sorry, My opinion is that unless you have a unique way to regularly PROFIT a very decent margin by being the absolute cheapest cost supplier of goods and services, the Blue Book really won't get you much. For the most part, the Blue Book is where general contractors have always looked for "Bidders" to find the lowest possible bidder on a commodity. And some are just looking for fresh suckers, but that's another topic.

I do know people that make a good living through the Blue Book, but they all have a very unique angle, a protected territory, a very special reason they are profitable at the cheapest cost, or some other proprietary reason. If you do also, then a good estimator is what you need.

Best of luck

mikefine

That is an interesting idea you have.
We get a ton of bid requests for Blue Book
contractor work type stuff.
I am reluctant to pursue it because I find it takes hours to put the bids together, and my chances to receive the work seem very low.
Or I can't interpret the bid (I considered taking a course or two in
spec reading).

You said the ad pays for itself, but have you considered the time factor? There is a cost associated with your time. Can you share what type of work you are doing, and what percentage of the bids you are actually receiving?

Thanks...

dlndesign

Well we keep things here pretty tight, as I assume all business are doing now. But just two or three good hits off of the bluebook, be it the ad in the book or a online hit, and we're up to break even for the year, and thats just bluebook jobs.

We had one this year, helped out so much, 50k, can't complain when the job takes about 6 months to get done. But thats also the time we're all in right now.

So i do think our next step is to look for an experienced estimator, other than craigslist and poking around, is there a good way to isolate a search for people in this specialty?

Thanks.

mikefine

Should have used for your title: Getting started as a hobby!

You probably would have gotten a few more responses.
It is a shame -- because you initiated an interesting and important thread.

Si Allen

I ignore those "invitations to bid"!

Some of the reasons:

1. They don't pay their subs.

2. They are looking for a sucker who will work for next to zero profits.

3. They have pissed off all the local shops, and no one will deal with them anymore.

4. They are "fly by night" companies", and when you finally get a check, the account in now closed.

5. They are brand new and not part of the "old boy network", so that they can't get a referral form other contractors. ( I often get calls such as " Hi This is Joe at XXX Construction Co, Mike at ZZZ Construction said it was OK to call you about some signs that we need." Around here, companies don't steal each others subs ... but will ask for referrals from other friendly contractors.)

gnemmas

I finally gave up with it's process: go online to obtain the blue print, read and call out the relevant portion and bid. If I miss something, it is on my dime.

So now I will bid if they call out all the signage part, that way I have less time spend, and if the general miss something, it's on their dime.

John L

So i do think our next step is to look for an experienced estimator, other than craigslist and poking around, is there a good way to isolate a search for people in this specialty?
Thanks.

You can hire a seasoned head-hunter with experience in placements that are aligned with what you need (get the references and check them out). You pay a fee to the placement service and get the estimator that works for you.

You can drive to "Blue Rooms" that may still be around in your area. Blue Rooms are offices where all the local construction project drawings are archived for physical use by the estimators to do job take-offs right there in the room. There used to be several of these in the DC area and I think DC is down to only one nowadays as most everything is subscribed online now. But you can lookup and call CMD (Construction Market Data), McGraw Hill, Dodge Reports, Dundell, etc. etc. (if these guys are still around) to ask if they have blue rooms in the San Diego area. If you find this resource and hang around a little while, you will find a good estimator all on your own.

Reprographics shops (blueprint copy shops) are another good place to spread the word about who you are looking for. Also major, commercial building supply warehouses (cause the estimators regularly need to check current prices on material commodities). Architects and engineers (cause good estimators don't just submit a cost without clarification from the design professionals on what they are bidding).

So either pay for it or go where they go. Good luck.

T-Square_WPB

I work for a Reprographics company and 80% of my construction documents are for estimators bidding purpose. Estimators will forward emails from Bluebook (or sites similar) for us to download, print and deliver. We have several estimators that work for multiple companies.

dlndesign

Great, thanks for the response John, I'll use that in my process.

Mike, I know I probably would have had some more eyes on this thread, but I didn't want to make anyone have a fit. :)

Thanks