• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel 2019 files appear in windows 10 file explorer but not windows 7

Lindsey

Not A New Member
We are a small vinyl & print sign shop. We own Corel X4, Corel X7, and Corel 2019.

We have a wired network of 4 windows computers that access a shared drive.

Two of the computers run windows 10 (with Corel X7 and Corel 2019 installed), and the other two computers run windows 7 (with Corel X4 and Corel X7 installed)

All .CDR files created in X4 & X7 appear in the shared drive folder on all systems.

.CDR files created in Corel 2019 only appear in the shared drive folder on 1 of the windows 10 systems (the one that is the "host" of the shared drive), but do not appear at all in the file explorer on any of the other systems.

Even if I save back the files that were created in 2019 as X4 or X7 format, they still don't appear in windows file explorer.

I don't even know where to start to fix this.

Any Corel experts or networking gurus out there have any suggestions?

Want to be using our newest version of the software, but it's proving problematic.

WildWestDesigns

My first inclination is to look at permissions of the "host" computer. If its visible on the "host" machine, but not on any of the others, to me that usually happens when the permissions for the other computers aren't there to at least view the files. Are y'all only sharing CDR files in that shared drive or other files and does that apply to the other files as well?

Now, 2019 has been known to be buggy and Win 10 has had networking issues with one of their updates as well. Those could be thrown in the mix as well as contributing factors if nothing else, but I would start with permissions and go from there.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Thank you Wild West.

We used to have a simple & easy to use "homegroup", but with the additional of our newer windows 10 computers I had to change things up a bit. I've set the file permissions to "EVERYONE", and for everyone to have control to "read & write".

We share lots of different types of files: .jpegs, word docs, excel files, .cdr, .ai, and .eps.

It's only the .cdr files, specifically the ones created in X9, that don't appear in the shared drive & folders.

I don't have high hopes that this will work, but I'm going to try to install X9 on the windows 7 computers and see if it'll take.

Thanks for your input!

unclebun

This is a common issue with Corel Draw installations, and especially after upgrades. It has nothing to do with any specific version of Windows or Corel Draw. It has to do with the Corel Draw installer not doing a good job of updating the shell extension when it installs an upgrade.

If you have previous versions of CorelDraw Graphics Suite installed, it is recommended to have the latest shell extension installed. In Windows Control Panel, check to see which shell extension is installed. You should see the latest in the Version column.

If you do not see the latest version shell extension, you may need to install it, or do Repair from the DVD.

Once you are sure you have the latest version, do the following to get your thumbnails back in Windows explorer...

1. Right-click any CorelDRAW (.cdr) file and click Properties.

2. Under General Tab, click Change button...

3. In the new dialog that opens up, you'll see all CorelDRAW program icons (depending on CDGS versions you have installed). Select the latest CorelDRAW version icon that corresponds to the latest shell version you have installed. Click OK and close all dialog boxes. After doing this, the generic icons should change back to thumbnails.

4. You may need to repeat the steps for Photo-Paint files,choosing the X6 (or X7) version of Photo-Paint.