• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel 22 font selection is very sluggish

binki

My computer is new, SSD drive, Fonts stored on an NAS with SSD drives and selecting a font in Corel is very very slow and sluggish. I have been searching for a way to speed it up. Are there any tricks I can teach this dog to make it faster?

unclebun

Install your fonts in Windows and let them be on the main drive. Don't use a font manager.
Don't use previews in Corel if you have lots of fonts with complex letters, i.e. grunged fonts, as it takes a long time to display those in the preview pane.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Corel Font Manager has all kinds of performance problems. So pointing Corel Font Manager to a font collection folder across a network connection to something like a NAS device is a very bad idea.

The collection folder CFM "sees" needs to be on a local hard disc drive. I have a "active fonts collection" folder on my boot SSD drive, which has a limited number of frequently used fonts inside. The fewer fonts CFM has to track the better. My complete fonts collection is on a second disc drive and backed up on external drives.

Turning off font previews will indeed speed up performance. CFM really doesn't like "dingbat" fonts that are really collections of clip art images. That will slow it to a crawl, even on brand new, well spec'd hardware. When scrolling through the font menu the scrolling process will hang for several seconds when it encounters a bad dingbat font. Poorly designed fonts will also cause CorelDRAW to bog down.

CFM and CorelDRAW also have numerous bugs in font handling that have gone UN-FIXED going back multiple version cycles. There are numerous fonts from the Google Fonts site that do not work properly in CorelDRAW. When the font is selected the type reverts to default Arial. I have other commercially purchased type families and fonts synced from the Adobe Fonts service that won't load properly. Italic styles will cancel out all the upright styles or vice versa. All of these fonts work properly in rival applications (Illustrator, Affinity Designer, Inkscape). CorelDRAW and CFM is the problem, not the fonts. Back when the application was Bitstream Font Navigator these problems didn't exist.

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Aside from the issues in Corel Font Manager, I'm not seeing much in the way of slow-ness issues in CorelDRAW. Then again, I don't have a giant amount of fonts and an associated giant sized database for Corel Font Manager to load either. FWIW, I am running CDR 2022 on notebook and desktop PCs, both of which have 11th gen Core i7 8-core CPUs, 64GB of RAM, RTX-3070 GPUs and 1TB NVMe boot SSDs. I have Win11 Pro running on the work desktop and still have Win10 Pro running on my notebook. The CorelDRAW application launches pretty fast. But these new machines boot up very fast too.

Not everything is perfect though. CDR 2022 has some stability issues. Not as bad as CDR 2019, but not acceptable either. On both my personal notebook and work desktop I've seen strange crashes happen just out of the blue. It doesn't matter if it's a complex document or a new layout in the simple starting stages. Sometimes the application will stop refreshing when an object is moved. Or it won't show the selection dots around an object when it is clicked. Usually I can save my work. But I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manager to end the CorelDRAW process. The application won't close on its own when clicking the "X" in the upper right corner. That kind of crash is annoying, but easy to move past. The other kind of crash is where I'm working along then all of a sudden the program hangs for a second and then "poof" the entire application window disappears. Any changes that haven't been saved are lost. Obviously that kind of crash is far more infuriating.

Others are complaining about these crashes in the CorelDRAW user forums. This goes on top of my long running gripes about the font handling bugs.

Regarding X6, I'd have a hard time regressing down to that version. A few important features have come along since then I wouldn't want to give up. The latest upgrade to v2022 was nothing to write home about.

binki

Install your fonts in Windows and let them be on the main drive. Don't use a font manager.
Don't use previews in Corel if you have lots of fonts with complex letters, i.e. grunged fonts, as it takes a long time to display those in the preview pane.
That worked. Thanks.