• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Crash course on textile printing?

JPR-5690

Im still somewhat new to latex printing, but I have an HP 560 and we've been printing a lot of fabric for a company that manufactures custom sound absorption panels. (It's kind of like printing canvases that are going to be stretched on 2in deep frames, with the largest standard size being close to 4x8')

Im trying to plan for the future and thinking that I'll eventually need to buy a dedicated printer for printing on fabric.

I've been trying to research, but I'm still a little confused on the basics of textile printing.

What's the difference between dye-sub and DTG other than DTG is printing directly onto the fabric?
Is DTG specifically referring to printing on ready-made garments (like the Epson F2100)?

Are there good options for printers that print directly onto rolls of fabric that aren't ultra wide format?

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/resources for washing/reusing/buying more of the ink collector pads that go in the HP ink collector platten?

While I can foresee needing a dedicated printer for fabric, I think it would be a long time before I could also justify the price for a heat press that would be able handle the size of some of the pieces that we're printing.

flyplainsdrifta

there are direct dye sub options out there with inline calendars that sub during printing. once you get it dialed in you can run and run and run and run. if you can hold off for a bit, hp is coming out with a dye sub line sometime in the future. basically going to be like their latex line but specifically for dye sub. so iff you are running a 560 like i am (not for fabric, just banner and vinyl) at the moment, it should theoretically be a pretty easy switch over in terms of a learning curve. if you cant wait that long, global imaging has some solid options for direct dye sub.

JPR-5690

there are direct dye sub options out there with inline calendars that sub during printing. once you get it dialed in you can run and run and run and run. if you can hold off for a bit, hp is coming out with a dye sub line sometime in the future. basically going to be like their latex line but specifically for dye sub. so iff you are running a 560 like i am (not for fabric, just banner and vinyl) at the moment, it should theoretically be a pretty easy switch over in terms of a learning curve. if you cant wait that long, global imaging has some solid options for direct dye sub.

Are you talking about the Stitch printers?

I've been interested in learning more about those, especially since they advertise that it can print directly to fabric or transfer paper. The only caveat is that printing direct to fabric is for "short runs only" and who knows what that means.

flyplainsdrifta

yeahh i did not see that when i had initially looked over the stitch line. im suprised and not suprised to see that though. theres always those small caveats with hp printers. i have no expreience with transfer dye sub, only direct so i cant speak to that section of the market. but in terms of direct ive worked with global imaging for a few years now and have been for the most part happy. if you have the workflow to keep them running at least 6 hours a day id go with them. otherwise there are alot of grand format textile printers out there, i havent personally seen anything under 8 feet that i can remember off the top of my head. id check out the isa show next year and get as much info as possible. best place to really see all the options out there.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Im still somewhat new to latex printing, but I have an HP 560 and we've been printing a lot of fabric for a company that manufactures custom sound absorption panels. (It's kind of like printing canvases that are going to be stretched on 2in deep frames, with the largest standard size being close to 4x8')

Im trying to plan for the future and thinking that I'll eventually need to buy a dedicated printer for printing on fabric.

I've been trying to research, but I'm still a little confused on the basics of textile printing.

What's the difference between dye-sub and DTG other than DTG is printing directly onto the fabric?
Is DTG specifically referring to printing on ready-made garments (like the Epson F2100)?

Are there good options for printers that print directly onto rolls of fabric that aren't ultra wide format?

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/resources for washing/reusing/buying more of the ink collector pads that go in the HP ink collector platten?

While I can foresee needing a dedicated printer for fabric, I think it would be a long time before I could also justify the price for a heat press that would be able handle the size of some of the pieces that we're printing.

Keep using your 560!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you are going to get into apparel, your Latex can handle everything!