• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Creasing when laminating

Hi there.
Cold matt laminating gloss self adhesive vinyl. Yes the lam and vinyl are compatible.
Just started to get this :-( Wasn't a problem on laminating smaller sheets. This is by far the largest sheet size I have tried for quite some time. 2440mm x 1220mm. The creasers are all the worst in the centre. Could it be a low spot on the centre of the rollers?.
Its a reasonably old machine. Maybe the gap/nip is a little two wide?. Does anyone have a link showing how to measure the nip?. I occasional get problems on smaller sheets but the creasers do not look like this (different direction), and are always caused by not putting in the nip even/straight.
First time I remember getting creasers that look like this. Any thoughts/ideas appreciated.
thanks Simon

Attachments

• creasing back.jpg
    creasing back.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 282
  • creaseing view from back.jpg
    creaseing view from back.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 222
  • creaseing front 1.jpg
    creaseing front 1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 182
  • crease front.jpg
    crease front.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 200
I think it's too wide of a nip, the folds are where the material is advancing too fast, the tighter the nip, the more the crown is compressed, the slower it advances, but I could be wrong, I do this by feel more than consciously thinking about it.
Are you running roll to roll for this, or just a large sheet? If you have rolls, the tension on the bottom roll should be even throughout, ends and center that is. I think in this case you'll find the center was very loose, and the ends super tight. I've never had much success running just sheets myself.
Yes I agree, my gut feeling is to close the nip a little but of course this will close it on the ends as well. Just large sheets. I have never done roll to roll. thanks for your help.

I attach the print to a stiff carrier like sintra. Apply the lam and then trim.
Thanks for this input. I got the local laminating expert to pop in. It seems it is "mooning" Sticking to the top roller before hitting the nip. I have fixed by putting a little weigh (with my hands)
on the print just before it gets in the nip. The machine should have a long flat bar that helps tp prevent this. (was missing when I purchased). Thanks again.