• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

creating a grain gradient in illustrator with a spot color.

bigben

I'm trying to create a grain gradient in illustrator that will be printed with white ink. So I need it to be a spot color. I can use the grain effect, but cannot use it as a spot color. So I will probably have to create a ''gradient'' vector, but can't figure out how to do it. Yes, I could just buy a vector already made but I want to be able to create it myself. Does anyone can help with this? Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I've searched for few hours and now that I've asked the question, I've figured out how to do it.

Last edited:

mim

0_o
Not sure but I've been meaning to figure out how to print a vanishing gradient on clear with white, just commenting to get notifications on this post. Hope someone can help :)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I know you can do gradient in illustrator and then select spot color for it.
However no clue about adding that grain effect to it.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Here is what you do:

Find a good wood grain pattern or whatever on google.
Copy Paste that baby right into Illustrator.
Vectorize it (essentially Live Trace it, or go complicated and hand trace it yourself with pen tool). If you Live Trace, be sure to expand it after and delete any part you do not want.
Lock this layer and create new layer.
Hit your 'M' (shortcut for rectangle), make a rectangle.
On the toolbar that has all the arrows and pen tool and everything at the bottom you should have a few choices, so use this to fill your rectangle with a gradient.
Go to Window > Gradient, also pull up Window > Swatches.
In swatches tab make your color swatches that you want and make sure to select them as SPOT COLOR.
With your gradient rectangle selected go to your Gradient Window. Double click on the little circle of color, this will bring up a CMYK option for you, and the left side of this you will notice a grid of squares, select this and it will take you to your swatches tab, select previous said spot color.
Rinse and repeat this as many times as you want for whatever effect you want.
Once this is done, unlock your layers and be sure the wood grain is on top, go to Window > Pathfinder, and Click the Divide option. Note that if the wood grain is filled with black the wood part will come out with the gradient. If the wood grain does not have a fill, but has outlines, then the wood grain will get the gradient fill.

This process will only take minutes, easiest way I can think of doing it to get the gradient to go where and how you want it.

Adam Vreeke

Not sure but I've been meaning to figure out how to print a vanishing gradient on clear with white, just commenting to get notifications on this post. Hope someone can help :)
What RIP are you using?>

mim

0_o
What RIP are you using?>

Onyx PosterShop. I think I misread the OP's post because what I was wondering has nothing to do with wood grain :doh:
I figured I could create a gradient with a stippling effect, which would look "grainy".

Adam Vreeke

Onyx PosterShop. I think I misread the OP's post because what I was wondering has nothing to do with wood grain :doh:
I figured I could create a gradient with a stippling effect, which would look "grainy".
Unfamiliar with PosterShop, but found this video which may be helpful.

• Agree
Reactions: mim

Fechin

You don't, you do it in Photoshop instead. In fact, dealing with Onyx, any gradient or opacity effect rips and prints better if its a raster, even if its a raster element in a Illustrator/PDF file.