• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Creating a icc profile for window perf

Jlcaudle

I've recently bought an i1 Publish Pro 2 to create profiles for my Roland VG540. I use Versaworks Dual, Flexisign 12, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. After creating my banner and vinyl profiles I am getting consistent colors from vinyl to banner media. My next project is to be able to profile window perf. I have never done perf and I am wondering how that goes when the instrument goes over the perf hole. I do not want to use a canned profile as I advertise color management. I would greatly appreciate any tips or tricks from anyone who has experience with perf media. I have 22+ years experience in the sign industry however profiling perf is new to me.

clarizeyale

We have an HP Latex 360 using Flexi and though you can download a profile for window perf, I have had problems with that one. It has like 12 or 16 passes and when my coworkers went to install, everyone was like "why can't we see through the holes!?".. turns out, those 12 or 16 passes caked the holes up and stuck to the laminate causing blockage.

I use an avery 1005 profile that has like 8 passes and it turns out fine now.

point is, don't do so many passes like suggested!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We have an HP Latex 360 using Flexi and though you can download a profile for window perf, I have had problems with that one. It has like 12 or 16 passes and when my coworkers went to install, everyone was like "why can't we see through the holes!?".. turns out, those 12 or 16 passes caked the holes up and stuck to the laminate causing blockage.

YES that is a big problem with the downloaded profiles, they give you 12 or 16 pass for many products. Who needs 16 PASS FOR PERF?? I take those, clone them and make them 6, 8 or 10 pass, recalibrate them, and delete the large pass ones.

FrankW

It is not really possible to create reliable ICC‘s on Window Perf.

First point: after printing, you still have a lot of ink on the print what is missing after applying. Its the ink which was printed on the backing through the holes. If measuring a window perf, you will not measure the exact condition as the print is used.

Second point: because of the uneven structure of the media, the i1 could fail reading the swatches. There are Spectrophotometers on the market with the possibility to vary the size of the measurement aperture (2, 6 and 8mm), for example the Barbieri Spectro LFP, but this units (we have one) costs a lot more than a i1. On structured media, the i1 will be unreliable.

tulsagraphics

I would guess that any company making perf also makes regular films using the same formulation. And if so, maybe you could contact the manufacturer and get a few yards for profiling. (That's what I would try.)

Bly

We print perf on our Epson 60600 and just use the same profile as the SAV it will going next to.
Maybe bump up densities 10-15% to compensate for the holes.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
Add pointed out, you can't make a reliable profile for perf film. Even if you profiled the unpunched media, the effect of the holes adds a percentage of black to the image that you can't account for either.
So you'll probably need to lighten up the artwork for the perf printing to get it close to your regular print.
The best thing you can do is to set proper expectations with your customer and tell them that it's not possible to perfectly match perf film to solid film.
Good luck

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I've recently bought an i1 Publish Pro 2 to create profiles for my Roland VG540. I use Versaworks Dual, Flexisign 12, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. After creating my banner and vinyl profiles I am getting consistent colors from vinyl to banner media. My next project is to be able to profile window perf. I have never done perf and I am wondering how that goes when the instrument goes over the perf hole. I do not want to use a canned profile as I advertise color management. I would greatly appreciate any tips or tricks from anyone who has experience with perf media. I have 22+ years experience in the sign industry however profiling perf is new to me.

An i1 pro will not cut it for window perf. The aperture is 4mm which is good for most generic smooth media i.e paper, vinyls. ect. not for fabrics perf or other materials that aren't generally smooth.

Doesn't stop you from trying. give it a go and see what happens imo.
But when installed on a dark window, the image will appear darker. you can put black paper under it to try compensate. Trial and error i suppose. I dont know how the i1 pro will handle it, but imo not the best. I'd use my Barbieri LFP on a 8mm aperture for something like that.

Melks

I run 3M IJ67 perf on my HP Latex and was having issues when I was first trying to find a correct profile. HP mentions that there is a library of profiles for various medias, but of course the media you are running isn't always available. 3M has mentioned to me that running the IJ180 profile is a good generic profile for a wide variety of the 3M films, so it has been working great for me ever since.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

If you use a dual liner perf you will not have those issues. With that being said, ALL my perf is Dual liner so you can run in all machines.

clarizeyale

If you use a dual liner perf you will not have those issues. With that being said, ALL my perf is Dual liner so you can run in all machines.

You mean with a paper back? Cuz that's what I've used (Hexis window perf) …. It works fine, just not with HP's suggested perforated vinyl print profile.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
You mean with a paper back? Cuz that's what I've used (Hexis window perf) …. It works fine, just not with HP's suggested perforated vinyl print profile.

No, it's an actual dual liner so the ink will harden underneath the holes. It looks like 2 layers of perf when you peel it off.