• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Credit Card Authorization

Pwear

I typically accept credit cards in person or over the phone, so I get a personal authorization to use the card, but I have a new customer out of state that has sent his billing address and credit card info via email on a large order. Our email correspondence history outlines the quote details, and contains his email with the card information - is this enough authorization to charge the card that he supplied, or do I need to get additional information from him? I just want to make sure I'm not charging a fraudulent card that will get charged back or wind me in some sort of trouble with it.

Malkin

I hope it's not for 100 banners that say "help feed the homeless" and can you kindly send the price without shipping so they can pay by credit card ok?

Seriously whatever you do, DO NOT send money via Western Union to some "shipping company" that the supposed customer wants you to use.

Pwear

I hope it's not for 100 banners that say "help feed the homeless" and can you kindly send the price without shipping so they can pay by credit card ok?

Seriously whatever you do, DO NOT send money via Western Union to some "shipping company" that the supposed customer wants you to use.

lol- you might be on to something. They actually say "_______ Children's Home" and he wants 30 banners. I said shit, a big order, why not just process the card? But then my morals and fear of chargebacks kicked in and I thought I'd check for other opinions on this first. I think I'm going to call my merchant account tomorrow and see what their rules are about processing cards without a physical swipe.

No western union or shipping company on this one, he actually said he wants to pick them up in person (but his billing address is in WA, hmm...)

On the other hand, someone not as cautious as me might have processed the card immediately - there's got to be some damage protection for a business owner if he unknowingly charges a fraudulent card, no? In reality this might be a legitimate customer, there's no way for me to know.

Malkin

Seriously. If I was you I would be very careful. Sometimes these scams (using stolen credit cards) will ask you to ship after the order has been fufilled.

Does he have poor grammer, never spoken by phone (always email), title of Reverend, a last name that sounds like a first name, and a driving need to get these banners quickly?

You could ask for a check and tell him it has to clear for 10-15 days before processing.

The protection is for the individual who had their card number stolen, the business owner will get screwed.

Mosh

We do cards through e-mail all the time. The scammers usually ask about paying alot more than even worring about what the signs say. Are you in personal contact with them besides the e-mail? If so I wouldn't worry as much. If they are in Africa DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Salmoneye

Scam! Call said Children's Home by getting their actual number from information. See how they answer the phone... ask for that person... This might answer your question for you. Don't make a thing. Tell him to send a cashiers check overnight instead.

This sounds like a scam.

I would try to figure out why a guy in WA would want to do business with you. Surely there must be closer shops that could produce his order.

Why not ask him...maybe it's a referral from a previous customer or a friend. If that's the case, the person that referred you could validate his story.

Can you verify the Children's Home? Why do they need 30 banners? That seems like an unrealistic number unless it's for a larger charity. If that's the case you more than likely would have to bid on the job or at the very least the organization would issue some sort of purchase order.

I'm not sure 15 days is enough of a hold on credit card payment, talk to your merchant account about it. The safest thing is have him send a cashiers check.

~Chris

cartoad

Sounds fishy to me, I am in WA and we get "orders" for NY, and other east coast areas, all have been scams. Good luck,

saktrnch

Use Pay-pal. They can pay with their credit card through pay pal and take your bank out of the middle of it. And I agree, look up the place, give them a call and see what they say.

Idea Design

You should absolutely proceed with caution.

Just for piece of mind, use the search feature here, and search the term "banner scam" and read through some of the stories that have hit this site.

It'll open your eyes and provide a little education for this specific situation.