• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Car Wrap

Signs4Realtors

Attached is a picture of my 8 year old boy's pinewood derby car. We'll know in a few weeks if it goes fast. Looks cool with some Oracal 3951RA on it. Hope you get a kick out of it!

Attachments

• PinewoodDerbyCar.jpg
    PinewoodDerbyCar.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 816

iSign

does it come right up against the weight limit?
my dad used to sneak in the kitchen late at night & use my moms stove to melt down some lead fishing weights after drilling holes in the bottom of my pinewood derby car.. he had a small sauce pan he ruined of hers some time back, so he'd get that out of his tool shed & cook up some lead & make sure my car weighed exactly what was allowed...

The other "secret weapon" that led me to TWO first place trophies in 2 consecutive years was graphite! Get some dry powder lubricating graphite for the axles.. and good luck!!

GP

I love it -

If (or when) I own a bar, I want to have a pinewood derby championship ---

ONLINE SIGN GUY

When i was 10 my father decided to build the car himsself, he sat in the garage and with a chissel set and sand paper he created a stingray vette, red, amazing work for the early 80's, and without a dremel, lll post a pic soon.

Very nice... I think they really should have two competitions, one for the kids and one for the adults. I don't have any children but I've helped my nephew out the past couple of years with his pinewood derby. It's a lot of fun.

Mader Design

Looks great! Also another trick, is to raise the front wheel just a tiny bit so that when you pick it up you can't tell it's higher, but when you put it on the track only 1 wheel hits in the front. :) 25% less friction.

Idea Design

Derby day is my favorite day. My 7 year old son is a wolf, too. He won second place overall with this car.

They are so young, they can't do much with power tools or anything, but he did all the sanding, and he learned how to spray paint last halloween. He picked the color and spray painted this car, then won best paint in show at the Derby.

Good times. And, for the record, GP,if you ran a bar that hosted pinewood derby racing, I would so be there.

I love the derby.

Attachments

• IMG_1459a.jpg
    IMG_1459a.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 160

Malkin

When i was 10 my father decided to build the car himsself, he sat in the garage and with a chissel set and sand paper he created a stingray vette, red, amazing work for the early 80's, and without a dremel, lll post a pic soon.

too funny, same exact experience here.

fisheye48

Derby day is my favorite day. My 7 year old son is a wolf, too. He won second place overall with this car.

They are so young, they can't do much with power tools or anything, but he did all the sanding, and he learned how to spray paint last halloween. He picked the color and spray painted this car, then won best paint in show at the Derby.

Good times. And, for the record, GP,if you ran a bar that hosted pinewood derby racing, I would so be there.

I love the derby.

i was the same way...dad wouldnt let me cut anything but i got to design and sand and paint my car....when i got done with the design it looked like you had let stevie wonder draw all over my car...the old man just picked a line and went to cutting

strypguy

I wrapped one for my buddies kid last year. It was an american flag theme. Poor kid still lost the award for most patriotic, lol.

It was fun to do and his boy loved it so it was all good.

John

Polish the axles which are really nails, grind the nail heads down as small as possible, grind the inside hubs of the wheels and the inside edge of the wheels to sharp edges, slightly raise one front wheel, coat the axles with graphite, and make it weigh exactly 5 ounces with the weight toward the rear. Do all this and you'll at least be in the top 3 at the end of the night. I've built a number of them before. Won the adult division and all the others were in the top 5 at the regional championships with well over 100 cars participating. My name is LTHW and I'm a pinewoodaholic. I'll never be cured, but with the help of family and friends I have learned to keep my addiction under control. If this is your first experimentation with this terrible disease, stop now before you end up hopelessly addicted like me.

zapblam

Mine when a kid, cut the block in half...cut one half into a triangle...stacked em...stuck a snoopy figurine on top....weighted....took top prize for looks. Way to top heavy and barely made it down the ramp.

SignManiac

My business partner and I have plans to build a dragster from scrap coroplast for his two year old son when he gets a little older. Right after we finish building the coro-plane!

Pat Whatley

I think you'd be better served if you'd make better use of your materials so you'd stop having these giant piles of scrap lying around. :ROFLMAO:

When I was in Cub Scouts there was a kid whose dad had run off on him and he had no male guidance at all. He carved his pinewood derby car with a steak knife because that's all he had. The thing looked like a furry peanut with wheels, easily the ugliest car ever made. The dang thing was ridiculously fast and ended up winning 4th place.

Twenty years later I learned the reason. A couple of the den leaders felt sorry for the kid, took his car outside, drilled a couple of holes and loaded the thing up with weights.