• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutter marks out of Onyx for tiled graphics?

MGB_LE

Just ran into an application that will be repeating, where we need some help: tiling large graphics in Onyx and pairing with our Colex flatbed cutter. In the attached graphic Onyx split up this file into panels with overlap. We trimmed manually and the installer overlapped. We're started to get quoted for more of this work on smaller surfaces like walls.

We have two wall murals that are 237”x105” long and 330"x105", and our Colex bed is 60”x120”. We’re printing on a 54” wide roll. Onyx will split that graphic into panels for us, and we can dial in overlap to help the installers.
However what we don’t know how to do is to have Onyx generate cut files for the multiple panels and print Colex registration dots on each panel.
Currently my operator manually trims each panel, which adds time and complexity to the project.

We’d love to print the panels and let the Colex do its thing to trim them out. Planning and executing that workflow is something we don’t know how to do at the present.

ABCO_65_Years_Group_Front.jpg

MGB_LE

Guess I didn't hit send on my reply: Where is the cut file saved when I select Colex as my cutter? Just curious where I pick up the data to feed into the Colex.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Open cut server from up top in the main window. There you can manage the file and output it to your cutter.

I didn't know you havent used it at all so you need small setup for it. Also you need license for flatbed cutter but maybe you have it.

MGB_LE

Open cut server from up top in the main window. There you can manage the file and output it to your cutter.

I didn't know you havent used it at all so you need small setup for it. Also you need license for flatbed cutter but maybe you have it.
Thanks. I'll check this out in the morning. I appreciate the quick response.

Sue Lynn

We just had this issue the other day. In Onyx Layout tool, the cut path won't work if the images are tiled. We have a Summa Cutter. Anyone working with Summa cutter and have a work around? I looked in Cut Server, but how do you get tiled image from Layout Tool into Cut server?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
We just had this issue the other day. In Onyx Layout tool, the cut path won't work if the images are tiled. We have a Summa Cutter. Anyone working with Summa cutter and have a work around? I looked in Cut Server, but how do you get tiled image from Layout Tool into Cut server?
Solution is to stop using layout tool at all. It's super old and just plain sucks.
That way you can have everything working just fine.

Ed. C.

Just ran into an application that will be repeating, where we need some help: tiling large graphics in Onyx and pairing with our Colex flatbed cutter. In the attached graphic Onyx split up this file into panels with overlap. We trimmed manually and the installer overlapped. We're started to get quoted for more of this work on smaller surfaces like walls.

We have two wall murals that are 237”x105” long and 330"x105", and our Colex bed is 60”x120”. We’re printing on a 54” wide roll. Onyx will split that graphic into panels for us, and we can dial in overlap to help the installers.
However what we don’t know how to do is to have Onyx generate cut files for the multiple panels and print Colex registration dots on each panel.
Currently my operator manually trims each panel, which adds time and complexity to the project.

We’d love to print the panels and let the Colex do its thing to trim them out. Planning and executing that workflow is something we don’t know how to do at the present.

View attachment 155975
The way we set up files is have our design team create the tiles for us with the cut path in it, overlap included and bleed as well for play room on the print files and print each tile as individual files, select colex as cutter and look at the cut path for cut assurance and onyx creates the targets for cutting. we also attached a bar code reader to our colex to find the files reading the barcodes.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
It's been about six-eight months since I left the shop where I ran Onyx, but Production House (that's what the version they had was called) had a "RIP tiles as separate jobs" option that needed to be checked to generate paneled cut files. Cut marks and where it saves the cut files for use with your cutter are based on your setup, as mentioned previously.

MGB_LE

It's been about six-eight months since I left the shop where I ran Onyx, but Production House (that's what the version they had was called) had a "RIP tiles as separate jobs" option that needed to be checked to generate paneled cut files. Cut marks and where it saves the cut files for use with your cutter are based on your setup, as mentioned previously.
Did you have the Onyx license for your cutter? Seems we may need to add that.