• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutter or Router: Colex v Shop Sabre

Boston Uncommon

Flatbed cutter or router table? Trying to decide between a shop sabre pro 10'x5' or colex sharpcut converyor 10'x5'. Completely different animals I know, trying to determine which would be better for me.

Shop sabre would be fitted with 5hp spindle 6 tool changer, optiscout, ecocam knife, 17 hp rotary vane vacuum pump, dust collection, popup pins, etc. So setup pretty similarly to a colex with it's 3 tool head. The colex is pretty stock, with the 3 hp spindle, oscillating knife, coro knife, kiss cutting knife, and their 6 pump vacuum system and their dust collection.. Cost wise I can save about 40k going the shop sabre route. Can also upgrade to a 10hp 12 tool changer spindle on the shop sabre for a few grand more.

What I'm looking to do? I have pretty consistent orders for runs of small aluminum signs quantities of (100) to (2,000), .040, .063, .080 with rounded corners and holes, printed vinyl stuck before cutting, typical size would be 8"x4", 10x7, 18x12. From my research vacuum hold down will be my biggest need for routering small signs from thin sheets as well as misting or cool air. In addition to the small aluminum signs, we also do a fair amount of die cut decals. We use our summa plotter and just cut through with more blade depth. Works good but on large orders it takes a lot of labor popping the decals out, seems it would be a huge time saver and more efficient to be doing these on a flatbed cutter. You have to just barley not cut all the way through on a plotter so they don't fall out and jam the pinch rollers while cutting..

Those would be my immediate wants out of a machine. The aluminum signs being a little higher on the list. But there is also opportunity to be had. We don't go after shape cut signs, currently but would like to offer them. Same for carved signs, we do them for good customers, but sub out and just do the install. So I'd like to bring that in house too. I like the idea of trimming printed wrap panels on a flatbed cutter, banners, posters, etc. We all know the possibilities with a router or a flatbed cutter.

So is there a machine that does well at both, routering and cutting/trimming? Will the colex handle routering these aluminum sign well enough? I did a colex demo, sent in my material to see how it handles small aluminum signs. The demo went well. They cut the signs face up, we talked about cutting the regis and flipping the sheet, but for demo sake they cut it face up. When I received the cut samples back you can see where some aluminum chips burn themselves into the laminate. I also notice the edges are super smooth on about half the sides of the signs and then some have a sort of smooth jaggediness to them. I don't know if that's because not enough vacuum with colex 6 little pumps? Or maybe it didn't get dialed in because it was a demo, or maybe it the lack of a misting or cool air option on the colex? The shop sabre has a misting option. The sample was only a 4'x2' piece of aluminum but I would hope it could hold a piece that size.. This has me a little concerned, but also everything seems to say the colex has a great finish when cutting acrylic so I'm not sure why the aluminum would cut like this? Would post a pic but you can't really see it in a pic, only feel it slightly. Maybe this is typical when cutting smaller parts? It's not anything that would fail quality inspection or anything. Just not consistent on all sides I guess.

With the shop sabre, I'm very confident I can cut the aluminum signs. And it's a more robust router with a much higher gantry clearance. I could really expand carved sign and other CNC offerings. What I'm not so sure about is if it's even worth fitting a shop sabre with the optiscout and tanginetiel/coro knifes. It doesn't seem to be shop sabres focus, print to cut, and the little info I can get from the internet suggests their workflow with the optiscout is not as smooth and easy as it is on the colex. And without the conveyor I don't think you can really do roll to roll. I just can't really find any good info on how well a shop sabre performs at kiss and die cutting decals, or trimming printed graphics, that kind of stuff.

-I also am considering the smaller summa flatbed cutter paired up with a used or cheaper router table, trying to keep under 100k for both. Summa flatbed for print/cut stuff, router table for the aluminum signs and carved stuff. But I'd much rather just get one machine, space and headache wise.

-

So anybody run either or both of these machines I'd love to hear your feedback. Is it worth fitting a shop sabre with optiscout and knives? How does the workflow compare to colex for print/cut? Does your colex like to do large runs of small thin aluminum signs with applied vinyl? Do you do much carved stuff on colex, wish you had more gantry clearance?
I have a ShopSabre 510 Pro (If I would have had a better salesman, I definitely would have gotten the IS510 without hesitation) This hands down has been a revolutionary addition to our shop. Yes, you can get the mister attachment, but I use an 1/8" Aluminum bit and cut ACM and .065 Aluminum no problem. Easy peasey. Clean cuts and no misting necessary. The add on flexibility to cut acrylic, HDU, Sintra, Hi-Cor, etc... you can craft studded letters, carved signs, fronts-backs of channel letters/reverse channel letters. The reliability of the machine has been fantastic and the customer support is well documented. Just my 2 cents.

Boston Uncommon

Still debating here. Thinking I will end up purchasing 2 machines. A cnc router, and then follow it up with a summa f1612 for roll fed materials. I think the colex fits the bill, but for the price, I can get 2 dedicated machines for about the same cost and have double the workflow, not have to worry about routering on a belt machine.

So now I'm looking closer at the camaster and shop sabre. Both pretty comparable. My question now is about vacuum pumps. Shop sabre is quoting me on a $15k 17hp becker rotary vane pump, and they claim it will be the best for holding down full sheets and cutting small parts from it. And camaster is quoting me a $6k 17hp regenerative blower. They claim that "the other guys" may have inferior plenums and basing their recommendation on cabinet makers who need more lateral hold down because they cut at high speeds on large parts.

Any insight here?
my becker pump is a workhorse and has not let me down. in all the posts on the Shop sabre forum on silicone down the mdf, and whatnot-- let me tell you, you can increase vacuum hold in a tremendous fashion simply by putting some masking tape around the edge (it in itself creates the seal) I have the oneida dust collection system and only use it when I am carving HDU and surface planing the MDF top because it is so strong it would suck up the letters I cut. I am completely happy with my set up and I am cutting multiple sheets of material of multiple types every day, seamlessly.

astro8

You'll get much higher vacuum with the rotary vane pump. Regenerative blowers are higher volume, lower vacuum, rotary vanes are lower volume, much higher vacuum. I've used both and there's no comparison, that's why the Becker is $15k. Most cabinet shops I know use either Becker or Busch rotary vanes. We have 3x 15hp Busch rotary vanes on our Biesse router 14'x7' and the hold down is outstanding.

Bxtr

Flatbed cutter or router table? Trying to decide between a shop sabre pro 10'x5' or colex sharpcut converyor 10'x5'. Completely different animals I know, trying to determine which would be better for me.

Shop sabre would be fitted with 5hp spindle 6 tool changer, optiscout, ecocam knife, 17 hp rotary vane vacuum pump, dust collection, popup pins, etc. So setup pretty similarly to a colex with it's 3 tool head. The colex is pretty stock, with the 3 hp spindle, oscillating knife, coro knife, kiss cutting knife, and their 6 pump vacuum system and their dust collection.. Cost wise I can save about 40k going the shop sabre route. Can also upgrade to a 10hp 12 tool changer spindle on the shop sabre for a few grand more.

What I'm looking to do? I have pretty consistent orders for runs of small aluminum signs quantities of (100) to (2,000), .040, .063, .080 with rounded corners and holes, printed vinyl stuck before cutting, typical size would be 8"x4", 10x7, 18x12. From my research vacuum hold down will be my biggest need for routering small signs from thin sheets as well as misting or cool air. In addition to the small aluminum signs, we also do a fair amount of die cut decals. We use our summa plotter and just cut through with more blade depth. Works good but on large orders it takes a lot of labor popping the decals out, seems it would be a huge time saver and more efficient to be doing these on a flatbed cutter. You have to just barley not cut all the way through on a plotter so they don't fall out and jam the pinch rollers while cutting..

Those would be my immediate wants out of a machine. The aluminum signs being a little higher on the list. But there is also opportunity to be had. We don't go after shape cut signs, currently but would like to offer them. Same for carved signs, we do them for good customers, but sub out and just do the install. So I'd like to bring that in house too. I like the idea of trimming printed wrap panels on a flatbed cutter, banners, posters, etc. We all know the possibilities with a router or a flatbed cutter.

So is there a machine that does well at both, routering and cutting/trimming? Will the colex handle routering these aluminum sign well enough? I did a colex demo, sent in my material to see how it handles small aluminum signs. The demo went well. They cut the signs face up, we talked about cutting the regis and flipping the sheet, but for demo sake they cut it face up. When I received the cut samples back you can see where some aluminum chips burn themselves into the laminate. I also notice the edges are super smooth on about half the sides of the signs and then some have a sort of smooth jaggediness to them. I don't know if that's because not enough vacuum with colex 6 little pumps? Or maybe it didn't get dialed in because it was a demo, or maybe it the lack of a misting or cool air option on the colex? The shop sabre has a misting option. The sample was only a 4'x2' piece of aluminum but I would hope it could hold a piece that size.. This has me a little concerned, but also everything seems to say the colex has a great finish when cutting acrylic so I'm not sure why the aluminum would cut like this? Would post a pic but you can't really see it in a pic, only feel it slightly. Maybe this is typical when cutting smaller parts? It's not anything that would fail quality inspection or anything. Just not consistent on all sides I guess.

With the shop sabre, I'm very confident I can cut the aluminum signs. And it's a more robust router with a much higher gantry clearance. I could really expand carved sign and other CNC offerings. What I'm not so sure about is if it's even worth fitting a shop sabre with the optiscout and tanginetiel/coro knifes. It doesn't seem to be shop sabres focus, print to cut, and the little info I can get from the internet suggests their workflow with the optiscout is not as smooth and easy as it is on the colex. And without the conveyor I don't think you can really do roll to roll. I just can't really find any good info on how well a shop sabre performs at kiss and die cutting decals, or trimming printed graphics, that kind of stuff.

-I also am considering the smaller summa flatbed cutter paired up with a used or cheaper router table, trying to keep under 100k for both. Summa flatbed for print/cut stuff, router table for the aluminum signs and carved stuff. But I'd much rather just get one machine, space and headache wise.

-

So anybody run either or both of these machines I'd love to hear your feedback. Is it worth fitting a shop sabre with optiscout and knives? How does the workflow compare to colex for print/cut? Does your colex like to do large runs of small thin aluminum signs with applied vinyl? Do you do much carved stuff on colex, wish you had more gantry clearance?
Hello, we currently have both a Summa F1612 Flatbed cutter and a Multicam 1000 Series router (Base Model, no tool changer)
The workflow on the Summa is great with the barcode system and the speed of it is great!
We are looking to replace the Multicam in the next few years and the ShopSabre is what we are leaning towards, we plan on visiting their facility in the Fall to check it out (They are less than 4 hours away, which is extremely helpful)
A couple weeks ago we went to a local vendor that sells Colex for a demo... It was a good demo but it seems like it would be a lateral move from our current router... Then we got the quote! it was more expensive than our ShopSabre quote!!

I would suggest getting the ShopSabre, I can't speak to running one. But from speaking to them and reading up, it looks like you can add things to your machine as your work grows with your capabilities. They way I look at it, buying a machine that you can grow into is better than buying a machine that only covers a void you have now. It was one of the reasons we bought a Vanguard VK330D, because if we top out on the current speed. We can add more printheads to gain more. I feel like the ShopSabre would help you do that, since we've had a router it is crazy to realize how much we depend on it day to day.

If you can swing both the Summa and ShopSabre, I'd do that. But it's easy to spend someone elses money.

*I saw someone on here selling a Summa F1612, if your looking for something used... just make sure it's not the first generation.

ProColorGraphics

*I saw someone on here selling a Summa F1612, if your looking for something used... just make sure it's not the first generation.
It's just the very first ones that had the stepper motors. Just make sure the model number is F1612-1 through F1612-4. Those all have servo motors. The later ones just have a different "safety sensor" setup. I am pretty sure -1 through -3 have the vacuum selector module where -4 has 4 vacuum zones.