• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting "decals" with the Summa S140 T Using Onyx

CES020

I'm sure this is about as simple a question as it gets, but I'm going to ask anyway....

New printer, new (to us) Summa S140T, using Onyx V11 Cut Server to profile contours. So far, so good. However, I've got some requests for odd shaped decals that they want to hand out at a trade show. Low quantity. I thought I read somewhere in the documentation about doing multiple cuts or varying cuts or something to do with that on the Summa. Where 1 cut would cut t he vinyl and the other cut would cut almost all the way through the release liner. I know the Graphtec had that feature. I think I tried it once years ago just to see it work.

Can anyone expand my knowledge on how that works or what I need to setup different in the file, or on the machine, or in Onyx? I had a walk in customer want 10 decals the other day, "die cut". We cut them, weeded them, and gave them to him on a sheet to peel off himself (he was okay with it, we discussed that option when he ordered them).

Any help would be appreciated. I suppose I could just cut deep enough through in 1 cut, but it seems like there are tools mentioned for doing it in 2 passes and that's stuck in my head as being the way people do it, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!
Steve

Bly

We don't cut from Onyx but in Winplot it's a software selection.
It will flexcut any lines in red 100m110y.
We never really use it much but did a couple of tests and it seems to work.
Only unlaminated vinyl though, calendared with a lam seemed too thick for the procedure.

CES020

Only unlaminated vinyl though, calendared with a lam seemed too thick for the procedure.

Humm....that's not what I wanted to find out. I'm getting a fair amount of request for small orders like this, under 100 pieces, lots of variety and all weird shapes and without the laminate, I don't think the Latex ink is going to cut it. I've not entertained the idea of doing much of it yet because I hadn't taken the time to work through it.

CES020

Thanks for the help, I found the option in Onyx and read the Summa manual on how it works. We'll give it a try this week and see if it works for our use.