• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting in Onyx versus Flexi

McDroneFace

Hello!

Recently, our sign shop got a flatbed printer, and along with that we are using Onyx to run it. The boss wants to phase out Flexi, the software we were using previously, but I'm having my doubts about Onyx's vinyl cutting capabilities. I've gone through the whole Onyx Cut Server program, opened every menu and pushed every button, and I simply cannot find near the level of control I previously had in Flexi. It would appear that Onyx can cut... and that's it. Am I missing anything? At the absolute least, I would like the option to overcut, as that dramatically helps with weeding.

Additionally, when I tried cutting, my shapes were translated from inches to centimeters. As in, if I tried to cut a 1x1in square, it cut a 1x1cm square. And I went through every menu and setting in both Onyx and the cutter, and everything is set to inches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I am not sure what you mean by overcut, but you can find more cut settings like having Onyx generate an outline around the cut elements when you build your quicksets.

McDroneFace

I am not sure what you mean by overcut, but you can find more cut settings like having Onyx generate an outline around the cut elements when you build your quicksets.
Overcut.jpg

So, basically, once your cutter has completed a path, it goes past the starting point by a set amount to ensure the vinyl is completely cut.

FrankW

What cutter do you have?

Onyx have more possibilities to automate cutting workflows, while Flexi have more possibilities to configure: e. g. sorting vectors or Overcut. But: e. g. Summa Cutters allow to set an overcut in the plotter itself, so it would not be needed to configure in the software.

McDroneFace

What cutter do you have?

Onyx have more possibilities to automate cutting workflows, while Flexi have more possibilities to configure: e. g. sorting vectors or Overcut. But: e. g. Summa Cutters allow to set an overcut in the plotter itself, so it would not be needed to configure in the software.
It's a VinylExpress Q54.

Can you elaborate on the automating cutting workflows?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Onyx is not a cutting software. It's simply made to forward the cutting job to the cutter. Not much more than that.

You have to set that overcut in the cutter panel.

FrankW

It's a VinylExpress Q54.

Can you elaborate on the automating cutting workflows?
In Onyx, you can assign cut layer settings to cut contour names. So you can choose special settings like knife pressure, or Summa Flexcut instead of kiss cut, by choosing the matching color.

If you use a workflow for which you need to plot in a file and save it somewhere special, Cutserver could be set to forward that files automatically … in Flexi, you need to send every file out of production manager.

I know Flexi since more than twenty years, and I really like it. But there are a few hassles …

Bill DiStasio

Hello!

Recently, our sign shop got a flatbed printer, and along with that we are using Onyx to run it. The boss wants to phase out Flexi, the software we were using previously, but I'm having my doubts about Onyx's vinyl cutting capabilities. I've gone through the whole Onyx Cut Server program, opened every menu and pushed every button, and I simply cannot find near the level of control I previously had in Flexi. It would appear that Onyx can cut... and that's it. Am I missing anything? At the absolute least, I would like the option to overcut, as that dramatically helps with weeding.

Additionally, when I tried cutting, my shapes were translated from inches to centimeters. As in, if I tried to cut a 1x1in square, it cut a 1x1cm square. And I went through every menu and setting in both Onyx and the cutter, and everything is set to inches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Onyx is equal to production Manager in Flexi and has much more control. All onyx does is rip and send to the appropriate printer.