• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cutting sign vinyl on a CNC router

CES020

I've held that in my hands and looked at it. I was not impressed. Many hobbiest with routers seem to have a low threshold for quality. There is no pressure adjustment for that, so it's not the best tool for the job. Will it do in a pinch? Probably. Do you want to make a lot of cut vinyl with it? Probably not.

They sell a drag style engraving head as well. Everyone raves about how great it is to be able to "diamond drag" into metal. The guy that makes them was doing his business cards using them. I have one of his cards. I can tell you I wouldn't dream of giving that level of quality to my customers. The start and finish points of letters don't hit, the "O's" are not round or symmetrical (and not because of the font).

Would it work for some level of stuff? Probably. Would I use in in my business to make product to sell to my customers? Nope.

It's targeted to people with routers in their garages for the most part from what I have seen.

Kottwitz-Graphics

About 15 years ago, when I worked at a sign company that made gas price changer signs, we used our router to cut vinyl for the numbers. It was an ESAB Signmate 2000 with a 10' x 20' bed, and it was a pain.
Between taping down the material, and making sure that the bit didn't go over the alum we used to keep it flat.

Someone is much better off getting a plotter. Expecially since they are not as expensive as they were.