• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dealing with getting price jacked on material costs

gnubler

This has been happening more often lately, where I'll quote a job based on costs and a week or two later go to order materials and the cost is through the roof. How are others handling this, and how long do you honor quotes for? I generally aim for 30 days but it's becoming a challenge, particularly on printed vinyl. Not to pick on Firesprint because they do a great job, but their pricing on die cut stickers jumped up by 30% in the past week and I had to tell my customer I could no longer honor the prices I gave him...one week ago. I checked with some other vendors and they're all even higher.

Beyond frustrated.

gnubler

Dramatic uptick lately. How much of a buffer is appropriate? I've been adding 20-30% to most jobs, evidently it's not enough.

How long do you honor estimates?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As a supplier I get an email from FDC (our vinyl supplier) every other day apologizing for the cost increases and availability issues. They've been pretty good at preparing us for the issues. All of our printer manufacturers just raised parts pricing up by about 6% as well. Sign of the times. Gotta buy me some gold.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
This has been happening more often lately, where I'll quote a job based on costs and a week or two later go to order materials and the cost is through the roof. How are others handling this, and how long do you honor quotes for? I generally aim for 30 days but it's becoming a challenge, particularly on printed vinyl. Not to pick on Firesprint because they do a great job, but their pricing on die cut stickers jumped up by 30% in the past week and I had to tell my customer I could no longer honor the prices I gave him...one week ago. I checked with some other vendors and they're all even higher.

Beyond frustrated.
It is good to know pricing from more than 1 of your suppliers. When outsourcing work (where margins are thinner), it is wise to get multiple quotes on projects. It is risky to sell at a thin margin from the cheapest source, especially now with pricing so volatile. In this case, you would have seen that other sources were higher, and not based your price on the lowest.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have a clause now that all quotes are good for 72 hours, some of our vendors have a "No Quote" policy now which means whatever they tell us is subject to change at any point.

We are starting to bid everything on the high side of our market now so we have as much buffer as possible, but it has a caught us a few times now.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We added a line on our proposals saying that prices are not guaranteed. I got the idea from a quote I had seen from a steel building contractor.

Another big lesson learned these days, order everything you think you're going to need as soon as you have a deposit from the customer. We had to do that with a stainless steel job. I know I ordered extra, but the vendor is fine with me returning what we don't use because now they're going to make even more margin on that same piece of material.

John Miller

Due to the volatility of material prices, this quote is correct today. Upon receipt of deposit, we will check current material prices and adjust the price of this project. Thank you for your understanding.