• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Declining jobs based on moral/ethical grounds

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Our shop won't making "peeing Calvin" vinyl graphics because it's cheap, rot gut work not worth the trouble and it's not worth the legal risk either. I'll happily point those customers to the flea markets.

We kind of take things on a case by case basis for projects we'll refuse based on moral grounds. Some things just aren't a good look for a sign company. We won't make signs or graphics for hate groups or anything condoning violence or illegal activity.

Johnny Best said:
Suicide is just thinking of your pain and not your close friends or family suffering after your gone.

The situation is not that simple at all. First, such an explanation is only logical when applied to someone who is thinking rationally. Many people dying by their own hand are suffering severe (and often untreated) mental illness. It's out of touch to apply one's own sane perspective onto someone else. No one truly knows what a suicidal person is thinking or what they feel. They don't have the perspective to make that call. It makes about as much sense as a man claiming he knows how labor pain and child birth feels.

The United States has a pretty disgusting track record of treating mental illness, both in actual government/business policy and our nation's popular culture. We seem to think telling people, "suck it up, Buttercup," is an acceptable solution.

With terminally ill people the situation is very complicated there too. No one wants a relative who is terminally ill to die. At the same time we don't want the terminally ill person suffering and those around that person suffering too.

I lost one of Uncles, my Uncle Jim who was my Dad's 2nd youngest brother, to ALS (aka Lou Gehrig’s disease) a few years ago. ALS is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It took about 2 years from the time of his diagnosis for Jim to die of that horrible disease. The final few months were pure terrifying hell for both Jim and my Aunt Shari. At first the disease robs a person's mobility. Start with a cane, then a walker and then a wheelchair. As it gets worse basic things like being able to swallow food become impossible. Feeding tubes become necessary. The ability to speak slips away. At the end it becomes an all out battle just to be able to breathe. It's not a clean, neat exit either. There's lots of almost dying episodes. My Aunt Shari was so heartbroken when Jim finally died. They had been together since high school. But she also had this wave of terrible guilt due to feeling relief those years of crisis were done.

If I was diagnosed with ALS I'd very tempted to put a gun to my head. Having to die by becoming totally paralyzed and slowly suffocating to death is pretty terrible. I'm sure not going to cast any judgments against terminally ill people choosing assisted suicide as a way to go out with some sense of control and dignity.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Social media has a lot to do with the rise in depression and the subsequent suicides. It's bad for adults but really bad for kids/teens. The inner workings of them are starting to be exposed now but not enough people are listening, at least not yet.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Social media has a lot to do with the rise in depression and the subsequent suicides. It's bad for adults but really bad for kids/teens. The inner workings of them are starting to be exposed now but not enough people are listening, at least not yet.
I totally agree. I have FB mostly for my business page but I do scroll through sometimes. I do catch myself becoming a little jealous of others sometimes or wonder I wasn't invited to this or that. Then I stop going on it for a while and I don't know anything which is perfect!

What you don't know won't hurt you.

Johnny Best

I lost one of Uncles, my Uncle Jim who was my Dad's 2nd youngest brother, to ALS (aka Lou Gehrig’s disease) a few years ago. ALS is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. It took about 2 years from the time of his diagnosis for Jim to die of that horrible disease. The final few months were pure terrifying hell for both Jim and my Aunt Shari. At first the disease robs a person's mobility. Start with a cane, then a walker and then a wheelchair. As it gets worse basic things like being able to swallow food become impossible. Feeding tubes become necessary. The ability to speak slips away. At the end it becomes an all out battle just to be able to breathe. It's not a clean, neat exit either. There's lots of almost dying episodes. My Aunt Shari was so heartbroken when Jim finally died. They had been together since high school. But she also had this wave of terrible guilt due to feeling relief those years of crisis were done.

If I was diagnosed with ALS I'd very tempted to put a gun to my head. Having to die by becoming totally paralyzed and slowly suffocating to death is pretty terrible. I'm sure not going to cast any judgments against terminally ill people choosing assisted suicide as a way to go out with some sense of control and dignity.
I watched my mother pass away with ALS. So Bobby H, if you had ALS you would would not be able to lift a gun to your head, much less load the gun. It shakes you to the core to watch someone with that disease go down a slow road to death. I read to her every day and a book she enjoyed was Dostoevsky's "The Idiot", and we went through Tolstoy's books. Freud also has a study on "Thanatos" which is driven by death-instinct.
Told my sons if I get ALS to take me fishing for Blue Marlin, and when it gets close to the boat to tie the leader to my arm and cut the line. When that Marlin dives it will take me the dark blue depbts of the Ocean for a peacefully end.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Suicide is just thinking of your pain and not your close friends or family suffering after your gone. The Spartan way of thinking about the group and not just yourself is the greater good. Believing in a God does not mean going to church or listening to a preacher. Just walking outside and looking at a tree is a spiritual awaking that takes your mind off of your egotistical being. You are only given one body in your lifetime, it's a gift.
They also killed babies with deformities and disabilities... Also another interesting fact, if a woman died during child birth she was given a warriors funeral.

As far as the assisted suicide goes, do we not put pets down to end their suffering?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It should be left up to the individual depending on what their living will says they want. I hope it changes before I get there.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Johnny Best said:
So Bobby H, if you had ALS you would would not be able to lift a gun to your head, much less load the gun.

Usually when someone is first diagnosed with ALS they're still able to walk, chew gum and do all sorts of other manual things. Pulling a trigger would still be very possible. When my Uncle Jim was diagnosed with ALS he was still able bodied. But then it was a steady decline downhill over a 2 year period.