• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Desperately Need Some Help From Ul-certified Shops On Testing Procedures

SignPros

We've recently become UL-certified for building channel letters and cabinets. We've been doing it for years, but our city just started requiring UL certification. SO, we did the online 'training' and then the area rep came in for our orientation. He rattled off the tests we have to do to our signs, one of which is the wiring strain relief test, but when I asked him how to do it, he just said to refer to the FUII. Which essentially says to hang a weight from the wiring?? So now I'm confused, and asked the rep if I'm basically supposed to just hang a 35 pound weight from the wires and as long as it breaks, I'm OK?? And he said it has to be a 'calibrated weight' and has to be SENT OFF (?!?!) yearly to be RECALIBRATE, but didn't really answer me beyond that. It's pissing me off, honestly. THAT is the 'test' procedure? I mean, we get our power supplies and modules from Grimco. Most of our wiring either comes from Grimco or NGlantz. So it's all certified. And we put double-backs in our wiring, cinched down with either zip-ties or electrical tape. But that's not good enough. We have to do these 'tests' with no real clear explanation of how they're supposed to be done or where to find the items to even do them. Surely some of you guys are UL certified and can explain this to me. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Also, as he explained it, even though we get our aluminum from Glantz or Grimco and I have the receipts to show it's .040, and our 1/4" acrylic is actually 1/4", etc., etc., we have to have certified calibrated calipers to prove that it is, and then have those calipers re-certified every year?

I'd really like somebody that can explain these tests in real-world language.

signage

All the testing equipment need to be calibrate and records kept for the calibration (date, serial number, qualified certification co., ect.). How to do the testing if you passed the required training and testing then you should understand. If not pay and go to a certified train class.

SignPros

The 'training' was essentially a series of online videos that scrolled through a bunch of text, and didn't actually demonstrate how to perform the tests, specifically the strain test. And the FUII isn't clear on the actual procedure either. That's why I asked for someone that's doing the test themselves to explain how it's supposed to be done. I'm aware that I can pay and go to some other training. Thanks for the absolutely zero help to my question. I thought this was supposed to be a forum for members to HELP other members, not just say 'go find it yourself'.

henryz

Hello SignsPros, the problem is these inspectors took the same online course you did and that's all they know and probably can't explain what the procedure is. Here are some pics to help you out a bit. I'M sure you can Google all the information you need to get your self going.

Attachments

• calibrated weight.jpg
    calibrated weight.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Strain relief.jpg
    Strain relief.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 249

vincesigns

Hi Sign Pros. In my experience you basically tie a knot in the wiring in side the letter or cabinet and leave enough wire between the know and the connection to eliminate any strain on the connection when you attach the weight. You don't have to test every letter or cabinet but you need to have a process that if tested will pass. The certification of the weights is a simple thing. There are companies in most area that do this. Here is the link to the company that we used in my former life - J.A. King Greensboro, North Carolina Calibration Laboratory

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the world of UL lol. We had the same issues when we signed up. I couldn't believe i had to purchase a certified weight and had to have it re-certified every year to make sure it was still the same weight lol. You are going to have some growing pains until you get the main issues dialed in. I have to say, our UL reps have been able to answer all of our questions. If we have a question about something it is their job to make sure they can answer it. With the amount of money we are paying to be a UL listed shop, you need to hold their feet to the fire and make sure they give you the answers you need. Don't let them push you towards looking it up in their manuals. Have the guy come in and look it up on his laptop in your office. Have stuff set up in your shop to perform the tests when he is there. We have actually learned more about what to do/not to do by our inspections and the UL rep pointing our things they want done differently. good luck!