• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Die cutting on FC9000

Impact Color

I’m currently looking to do die cut stickers and I’m specifically looking at the Graphtec FC9000. Is this a good machine for die cutting? The quantities I’m trying to achieve would be about 250 qty per piece. The actual vinyl would print on HP latex then die cut on the FC9000. My questions are:
How will the quality of the cuts be?
How about speed for 250?
Is it as easy as plug and play or does it require a whole lot of setups?

CanuckSigns

When you say die cut, are you talking about cutting through the vinyl only, or through the vinyl and backer paper? Both are possible with the graphic. Through cutting is done by doing a perf cut then popping the decal out, it works well, but its very slow and I've found it looses accuracy after about 4 feet due to the jerky motion of the perf cut process.

If you are looking to just cut through the vinyl only, the graphic is a great machine and will run all day with no issues.

Impact Color

Yes by die cutting I mean through the backing. When you say it’s slow do you have any type of idea? Meaning is it like 25 can get cut in one hour at 4 x 4 inches? Etc

CanuckSigns

Yes by die cutting I mean through the backing. When you say it’s slow do you have any type of idea? Meaning is it like 25 can get cut in one hour at 4 x 4 inches? Etc

It's not that slow, to perf cut 25 decals 4x4 I would estimate about 10 minutes if they are simple shapes, but complex shapes would take longer. I remember cutting a few hundred 2"x12" bumper stickers and thinking I could cut them out faster with a knife and ruler.

Also keep in mind your settings need to be adjusted for each material, when I did this I bought a few different blade holders and set them up for different media's.

stxrmxn

It does reuire some knowledge of functions to adjust, the manual is somewhat broken English but its not hard to figure out and it is a great machine, playing around with it you should be able to achieve this no dramas.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
As Canuck said keep it short sheets.
I print 81- 3.5 x 5" ovals per sheet at a .30 spacing and fill a 100' roll takes less than 5 minutes to cut each set of 81 at the speed set at 20.
Tha faster you cut the more it cuts off towards the end of the sheet because of the back and forth motion. So cut slow. 20 to 30 yields a perfect cut sheet.

Last edited:

Joseph44708

Only need one blade holder with a 45 degree CB15U blade. I Kiss Cut, Perf Cut and Straight thru cut on 3 mill and 6 mill vinyl laminated or not all day long.
What I print one day I cut the next.
Machine is bullet proof.

PrepressGrant

If you want small run die cut sticker buy a summa F1612, bit more pricy but you will never hand cut anything again.

Back Slit & Die Cut Sticker on a Summa F1612

CanuckSigns

If you want small run die cut sticker buy a summa F1612, bit more pricy but you will never hand cut anything again.

Back Slit & Die Cut Sticker on a Summa F1612

This is true! We've had ours for almost a year now and I can't tell you the last time I picked up one of my big purple rulers! My cutting tables are now nothing more than a flat surface to dump cr@p on when I don't know where else to put it!

PrepressGrant

This is true! We've had ours for almost a year now and I can't tell you the last time I picked up one of my big purple rulers! My cutting tables are now nothing more than a flat surface to dump cr@p on when I don't know where else to put it!
100% agree, after running my F1612 I promises you I will never hand cut anything again, don't ask won't do it.

josegiron4545

For anyone that has a Grapghtec what are your setting for diecut/perfcut stickers? Do you use cut line pattern or do you just use the force of the blade.

Joseph44708

For anyone that has a Grapghtec what are your setting for diecut/perfcut stickers? Do you use cut line pattern or do you just use the force of the blade.
Depends on the thickness of your vinyl, are you cutting on the strip or in the channel.
I channel cut everything and use 6 mill vinyl on decals and 3 mill vinyl on premasked decals.

Last edited: