• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dika 1350 connection problem

mortil

hi guys. i have a problem with connecting my Dika 1350 plotter to the software.

i had windows xp before and now i upgraded to 7 but i cant get the plotter to work with my Signcut software. when configurating everything as it should be and then hit testcut it hangs the plotter so i have to make a reset. any advice on this one ?

round man

with the serial to usb adapter most of the problems occur when windows assigns a random port number to the usb adapter,..you will have to go to control panel then hardware and sound then printers and devices and the device manager will be there,... open it and check the ports heading to see if windows has loaded the correct driver for the adapter and check to see what com port it has assigned it to,(it can be changed via the advanced settings button if windows has assigned a number like com 7 or com 8 to it)...then assign that port number on your plotter setup in your cutting software and make sure the baud rate and stop bits are correct for the plotter,......

you don't mention what software you are using so I am assuming you know how to set the plotter up in that software and that you have the proper cable for the plotter

edited to add you will probably need to hook your old plotter cable to the usb adapter cable before it will work,..so use them together the usb adapter to serial is more than likely not a null modem plotter cable,...

mortil

Thanks.

the plotter did work yesterday and today when i turned it on it didnt want to work again.

i Use Signcut software and illustrator also tried to connect with Artcut (crap) but no luck there either.

the fun thing is that the plotter worked fine in XP but now in windows 7 it f-cks up :(

Im hardly thinking of getting an older PC/Laptop with Serial port on and run some older windows on it.

round man

It sounds like windows is assigning a different port to the usb to serial adapter when it reboots,..usb ports can be assigned differently every time windows 7 and or xp boots so you have to get in the habit of checking the device manager to see what port number gets assigned to the adapter,..once you find out you will need to reset the port number in your sign software so the info needed to run the plotter is sent to the right port,..it happens to me all the time here and I have gotten into the habit of checking the port number before opening my sign software and haven't had any problems yet save the hassle of having to set the port each time I boot,..seems windows doesn't care which port number it assigns a usb adapter and it will change it for seemingly no reason at all

mortil

It sounds like windows is assigning a different port to the usb to serial adapter when it reboots,..usb ports can be assigned differently every time windows 7 and or xp boots so you have to get in the habit of checking the device manager to see what port number gets assigned to the adapter,..once you find out you will need to reset the port number in your sign software so the info needed to run the plotter is sent to the right port,..it happens to me all the time here and I have gotten into the habit of checking the port number before opening my sign software and haven't had any problems yet save the hassle of having to set the port each time I boot,..seems windows doesn't care which port number it assigns a usb adapter and it will change it for seemingly no reason at all

Thanks. it really sucks that Microsoft hasnt thought of this. but i guess its just at thing i have to live with. dusted off my "old" laptop to setup to the plotter to run XP with signcut software and hopfully i will get rid of the Win 7 problem as i in no way get it to work. really suck. but hey. cheap plotter so i guess i have to live with some problems :D

and again . thanks for all the help. it sure gave me a point in direction :)