• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Dimensional lettering and 3d printer

brycesteiner

I've got a job for 4" tall dimensional letters on the a brick building. Would you or have you considered using a 3D printer to just make them for small jobs?

CanuckSigns

I don't think it's economically feasible, 3D printing is a very slow process, and the end product leaves much to be desired from both an esthetics and weatherability stand point.

Order them from gemini, put your mark up on it and move on.

CanuckSigns

I've tried the 3d printing route, but unless you are running a farm, it will take a week to knock out a set of 10" letters, as each one nearly takes up the plate. Now with 4", if you can nest them it'll be about 8 hours. But with a good cnc, you could pocket out HDU in 30 minutes.
Also I never got as far as putting something outside to check on weatherability, but since it was printed polycarbonate, it should have held up decently.

Since most 3D printed items are not solid in the middle, I think there would be issues with the piece filling with water, then freezing in winter and cracking. None of the 3D printed parts ive ever seen look to have tight enough tolerances to be waterproof.

3d printing as it currently stands is not a "production ready" manufacturing method, people like it cause it's cheap and allows the home hobbiest to make cool gizmos, but outside of prototyping I don't think it has much merit. That might change in the future however.

player

I read an article in a sign magazine last year about a sign company 3d printing, but the printer they used was very large.

Here it is:
https://www.signmedia.ca/the-writing-is-on-the-wall/

Opener.jpg

player

Last I checked, there were about 7 of them in the US. That was a year or two ago, but it's looking promising. The biggest issue I have is the company is based out of Israel if I'm not mistaken, and could only imagine what it would cost for a tech visit.
Oh, and the quarter million dollar price tag was a bit of a bummer...
I could imagine quoting a price for a 3D printed sign and the next thing the customer asks is "How much for just cut vinyl?"