• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Do you use dedicated rip computer?

dale911

President
When I started out, I was doing everything on one pc, design, internet, bookkeeping, RIP and other misc computer stuff. I always back everything up.

Now that I have multiple printers and 2 different rip software, I am wondering how many of you have computers dedicated to the RIP. I already have 1 computer setup as a server that is just running the shop software but I’m wondering if there there is a point at which I should put a stand-alone computer at each printer for the RIP. I do wholesale printing to the trade only and misc design work for my clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Best

I buy a new MacBook Pro every year so I have extra laptops. Use them for running the RIP and printer, another for the plotter and that frees up my new laptop just for designing or the internet. It saves time since I do not have it running the printer or plotter. Just use usb memory sticks to transfer files between them.
Laptops also free up space instead of some bulky desktop machine and monitor.

jayhawksigns

Think you will find a lot of places do upgrade to a separate computer sooner then later. We have been doing that with Flexi/Onyx for as long as I can remember.

iimprint

i like using a hyperV virtual machine for my RIPs it makes it so awesome to backup and hardware is generalised so my windows build wont crack the shits if i have to swap it out

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We use a seperate pc as a RIP/cut station. Designers just drop the files to a "hot folder" from their respective pc's and the print tech can keep "the presses" running without interruption. Best way to go imo

iimprint

yeah i still use hot folders, the virtual machine just allows it to swap to different uses for job setups with impeeding anyone

dypinc

For our RIP computers we are forced to use Windows machines so I certainly would not want them doing anything else.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
We've got a dedicated RIP PC for Onyx. I do have Photoshop and Illustrator on it for quick edits instead of sending back and forth between computers.
I also have all my colour managing software and tools on it as it's useless using 2 computers to calibrate 1 printer.
I use hot folders between the RIP PC and laptops. Works well for us.

DaveD

Keep them separate. It will cost you a lot of money when the computer sending a project to the printer crashes during a print. I agree with all the above, hot folders are the way to go.

AKwrapguy

Not only do we have a separate computer for our rip we even have a computer for each printer. In my department we have three dedicated stand alone station for Geber, 2 standalone stations for each of my 570's, and two dedicated design computers and everything is networked together and can access a central server. Probably one of the best setups I've ever seen. We pay to have a local company come service our whole system every few weeks and upgrade our system as needed. We rarely have computer issues and if you do, since everything is networked we can just jump onto a different computer.

WildWestDesigns

Not only do we have a separate computer for our rip we even have a computer for each printer. In my department we have three dedicated stand alone station for Geber, 2 standalone stations for each of my 570's, and two dedicated design computers and everything is networked together and can access a central server.

That's what I would suggest. If you have to use VMs for whatever reason as well (like needing to run Windows on a Unix host computer) that works as well via Shared Folders.

I would go a step further and make sure that network is not connected to an outside network. Keep office task orientated computers off the LAN. Using one computer for too many things can lead to issues if it goes down. Too dependent on one thing. It goes out of rotation, no bueno for you.

FatCat

Yes, we run a dedicated RIP and we run Wasatch Softrip which allows us to control up to 4 devices (Printers/cutters) with just the 1 copy. Wouldn't do it any other way.

ProColorGraphics

I use caldera and run it on my old imac after I updated my design computer to a macpro. The imac still has really good specs, which is probably a little overkill for a RIP, but its fast and I already had it. So it works.

klmiller611

I use a separate computer for Onyx and an ancient (Windows 98, I think) machine for the Gerber. I agree with everyone else, that it is far easier to keep the printer running with a separate machine and not be bothered with bogging it down with design software. I use USB sticks to carry jobs back and forth on the Onyx. Since there is so little I do with the Gerber other than simple type, I still have an old floppy drive on the desk as well.

Ken

billsines

We have a dedicated imac for the RIP. I like the idea of different computers for design, RIP, machine control, and certainly the books. For the USB stick guys, I used to do that alot, but being a CNC guy we have so many computer controlled machines that a network is the way to go. I'm the only designer so my computer is in the office and I push all artwork out from here. I love it.

I also read somewhere from a guy and I really agree with this, if it is at all possible, don't put your production computers on the internet. 5 of my CNCs are still running XP, with no problems at all.

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
A couple years ago I made a build thread regarding a high end dedicated RIP computer... Might help you some: Ergosoft Ripping Workstation
If you want to skip the reading part and get to the goodies: System Builder - Xeon E5-2687W V3 3.1GHz 10-Core, Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower - PCPartPicker

Basically what we have is a 10 core MONSTER workstation that's up-time is 24/7x365 and let me tell you, it doesn't break a sweat... RIP's 10 massive files and the highest CPU Usage I have recorded is 55%. Keep in mind we can scale up to 20 cores, allowing 20 files to be ripping simultaneously.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

unclebun

I'd say it depends on the size of your workload. Since I only have 1 printer and I'm the only one generating work for it, my workstation is also the RIP station. Two different workstations run our plotters, and a separate computer does the office work.

If we were large enough to have more than 2 employees, then a dedicated RIP for each printer would make sense, because we'd also be running the printer more constantly than we do, and we'd have an employee whose job it was to print everyone's output.

I've never had a problem doing work while Onyx is RIPping, never experienced slowdowns or crashes because of it.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
Separate computers is the way to go. I have a RIP station for each printer. Keeps riping and printing moving all day. I even went and got a monster/overkill computer to run Mimaki rasterlink. Keep everything on a network and you cant go wrong.

WildWestDesigns

I also read somewhere from a guy and I really agree with this, if it is at all possible, don't put your production computers on the internet. 5 of my CNCs are still running XP, with no problems at all.

This may seem overkill, but I firmly believe this and a lot of this update errors and then caused issues would be a several things mitigated by doing this.