• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does anybody have an onyx 11.1 disc or installation package? or alternative recommendations?

Jack_ECCS

Hi all,

I have an onyx licence dongle that came with the 4 installation discs for onyx 10.2 which ran our oce arizona 350gt flatbed printer, at some point or another the licence on the dongle was upgraded to onyx 11.1 and the computer we had it on is dead.
I tried to install the 10.2 version we have the discs for but it tells me the dongle isn't for 10.2 and I should contact onyx to "upgrade" it and I do not have an 11.1 installer, onyx themselves dont want to know if the version is any older than version 18 so I'm a bit stuck.
I just wondered if anybody on here might have an 11.1 disc they could take an iso from or something as I cannot find the installation package anywhere and I outright refuse to pay for onyx again.

Failing that what other rip/production suite would people recommend?
I need to run the oce arizona 350gt, a Mimaki jv3-160sp and a gerber plotter, I'd like to stay as far away from a subscription style licence as possible I dont mind companies that charge for the latest version but I where possible I want to pay once for the version I buy at the time and have it continue to work indefinitely.

cheers,
Jack

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Enter the key here and tell us what version your key actually supports?

Then next problem you have is you need the printinstall for your printer. Maybe you have it on that disk.

Jack_ECCS

Enter the key here and tell us what version your key actually supports?

Then next problem you have is you need the printinstall for your printer. Maybe you have it on that disk.

hi,

The discs I have I think are the ones that came with the oce arizona 350gt as all the discs say oce edition on them so hopefully I can use something off that disc?

Last edited:

Jack_ECCS

You shouldn't share the key number.
But this is what you have.

ONYX Thrive 421
Version: 11.1

Here is the link for 11.1.2

You should search for ".PrnInst" files on that disk and see if you can install those.

Good point, didnt think it would be of much use without the physical key but deleted it anyway :)

I'll give that version a go and see how it goes, thankyou for your help fingers crossed it works

cheers,
Jack

Jack_ECCS

You shouldn't share the key number.
But this is what you have.

ONYX Thrive 421
Version: 11.1

Here is the link for 11.1.2

You should search for ".PrnInst" files on that disk and see if you can install those.

So managed to get thrive installed and seems happy enough with my key so a genuine thanks for that.

Thats where things get a bit weird though I have 4 original discs, disc 1 is labelled with contents as Program installation and select printer drivers, disc 2 is printer drivers for canon HP HP Scitex Roland and Seiko, disc 3 is labeled printer drivers for Epson Mimaki Mutch OCE CS series and various others, and disc 4 is printer drivers for oce arizona series.
Now I managed to get the arizona series disc in and get the prninst file off it which thrive accepted no problem, Issue is that the printer driver disc with the mimaki drivers (disc 3) is just exactly the same as the installation disc (disc 1) and I've tried it on a few machines but theyre identical other than the printing/label so I do not have the prninst for my mimaki printer.
Do you know where I might be able to find it elsewhere or am I SOL?

cheers,
Jack

Jack_ECCS

You can still buy Onyx Updates as well.
To be honest with you Onyx will never see another penny from me if I can help it, they were so dismissive and were only interested in selling me a new licence. All I wanted from them is the installation file for the version I had but they refused to provide it because the version was too old, I know they have it on file somewhere and would happily have paid some kind of admin fee to get it but they didnt want to know.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I wouldn't personally use anything else than Onyx or Caldera. Maybe Printfactory but I'm not familiar with it.

With a flatbed printer and a roll printer on top it will cost you a lot to change the RIP brand. Maybe flexi doesn't but I don't like it.

Jack_ECCS

I wouldn't personally use anything else than Onyx or Caldera. Maybe Printfactory but I'm not familiar with it.

With a flatbed printer and a roll printer on top it will cost you a lot to change the RIP brand. Maybe flexi doesn't but I don't like it.
I've used flexi on the mimaki printer and it seems pretty good but doesnt support flat beds as far as I can work out or at the very least doesnt support the arizona 350gt which is a shame.

Fingers crossed I can find what I need to make the mimaki work with onyx, somebody on here will have it I'm sure of it, finding them is the hard part

cheers,
Jack

FrankW

Such a shame that onyx wants to earn money, and stops supporting very old software

Dont hope next time someone will refuse payment to you because you have used „media laying around and ink which was in the printer anyway“.

Deal with the fact that software is a product like each other.

Jack_ECCS

Such a shame that onyx wants to earn money, and stops supporting very old software

Dont hope next time someone will refuse payment to you because you have used „media laying around and ink which was in the printer anyway“.

Deal with the fact that software is a product like each other.

As I said before I'd be happy to pay a fee to get what I need from them but I see no reason to buy an entirely new licence when the one I have does everything I need right now.
It would be like taking 5 year old car for a service at the dealer and them saying "we dont support that anymore buy a new one"
All I wanted from them was the installer nothing more, would be different if I wanted them to help me with the software itself. on top of that the only reason I even needed an installer was because when they upgrade your licence dongle they make sure it wont work with the CD's you had originally instead of allowing newer licences to be backwards compatible. Theres no reason to do this beyond creating an opportunity to extract more money from their customers down the line.

Jack_ECCS

The license is actually backwards compatible. No idea why it didn't work for your install.
No idea it just told me the licence wasnt for the version I was installing and I needed to contact onyx for an "upgrade"

In any case I seem to have the version you sent me working now so thanks for your help much appreciated :notworthy: