• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does this look right *Pics*

n20capri

Graphtec model CE3000-60 MK2.

So all of a sudden it won't cut...it goes through the motions but the blade doesn't go down far enough...even when I switch to the pen tool it doesn't go down far enough...even with the force all the way up it won't even touch the paper/vinyl...

So I too off the dust cover thingy and noticed the copper coil didn't look right...looks unwound to me...can someone take a peek at theirs to compare...

If it's not this does anyone have any thoughts? Is there an adjustment that could cause the blade to not be going down far enough?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• plotter.jpg
    plotter.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 289
  • plotter2.jpg
    plotter2.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 185
  • plotter3.jpg
    plotter3.jpg
    504.5 KB · Views: 167
  • plotter4.jpg
    plotter4.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 209
Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The maximum size picture the forum templates can accomodate is 800 x 800 pixels. Yours were 1600 x 1200 each and rendered your entire post useless. Please limit future sizes to within our stated limits.

We would also prefer that you use the upload/thumbnail approach because the thread will not help anyone in the future if the pictures you post are on your website and are eventually deleted.

I have deleted your pics, resized them and uploaded them in the preferred manner for storage and display here.

Unless you are hell-bent on replacing the machine or sending it to Graphtec, you should not be playing with that stuff.

You state the machine "goes through the motions, but the blade does not go down far enough". You really need to clarify that statement. Are you trying to say that the axis movements are ok? Are you also saying that the blade holder does in fact go downward?

When was the last time you used the machine and have you replaced the blade since then? Also, what does your cut strip look like?

n20capri

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
Unless you are hell-bent on replacing the machine or sending it to Graphtec, you should not be playing with that stuff.

You state the machine "goes through the motions, but the blade does not go down far enough". You really need to clarify that statement. Are you trying to say that the axis movements are ok? Are you also saying that the blade holder does in fact go downward?

When was the last time you used the machine and have you replaced the blade since then? Also, what does your cut strip look like?

I didn't touch anything under there...I just took off the cover to look. The axis movements are fine. If I set the speed to slow I can see exactly what it's cutting...well since it's not cutting...I can see what it would be cutting...but the blade doesn't go down far enough...it goes down...but not far enough...I used the machine the night before it stopped working...hadn't changed any settings either. Cut strip is fine...the blade doesn't even hit the paper let alone the cut strip...lol

tdgraphics

Had the same problem on an Graphtec FC 5100. It needed to be sent off to Graphtec and the solenoid which pushes the blade holder down needed to be replaced. Worked fine after that.

Our machine was 7 - 8 years old when it went, your machine is relatively new as the CE 3000 was released within the last 18 months or so. Is it still under any warranty? If not, do you have a local Graphtec Tech guy you can get to service it?

n20capri

tdgraphics said:
Had the same problem on an Graphtec FC 5100. It needed to be sent off to Graphtec and the solenoid which pushes the blade holder down needed to be replaced. Worked fine after that.

Our machine was 7 - 8 years old when it went, your machine is relatively new as the CE 3000 was released within the last 18 months or so. Is it still under any warranty? If not, do you have a local Graphtec Tech guy you can get to service it?
Mine is only a couple months old...lol. Not sure if there is a local around here...they were closed when I called yesterday. I emailed the rep that sold it to me (local sign/graphics shop) hoping they could help speed up the process...I have several jobs in the works and I don't want to be down for weeks...I'll call Graphtec on Monday to see what they can do as well...

Do you remember how long it took them to repair for you? Also, do you remember your solenoid lookinkg like that?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It looks very much like your voice coil is hosed. Here's a not too good picture of mine. It's an FC7000 but the basic mechanism is still the same. Note that my voice coil looks like it's supposed to look.

It would appear to the casual observer that your tool carriage experienced something resembling blunt force trauma. Perhaps there was a chunk of crud that got itself between the voice coil and its sleeve. Who knows. Whatever the cause, most likely you're up for a new tool carriage.

I've changed them on other machines and it's not a big deal. Getting the drive belt hooked back up seemed to require three arms but even that wasn't excruciating. I assume that changing the carriage on a Graphtec would be pretty much the same sort of adventure. The worst that could happen it that you'd have to call for help, which you's have to to anyway if you didn't make the attempt.

Attachments

• graphtec.jpg
    graphtec.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 180

n20capri

bob said:
It looks very much like your voice coil is hosed. Here's a not too good picture of mine. It's an FC7000 but the basic mechanism is still the same. Note that my voice coil looks like it's supposed to look.

It would appear to the casual observer that your tool carriage experienced something resembling blunt force trauma. Perhaps there was a chunk of crud that got itself between the voice coil and its sleeve. Who knows. Whatever the cause, most likely you're up for a new tool carriage.

I've changed them on other machines and it's not a big deal. Getting the drive belt hooked back up seemed to require three arms but even that wasn't excruciating. I assume that changing the carriage on a Graphtec would be pretty much the same sort of adventure. The worst that could happen it that you'd have to call for help, which you's have to to anyway if you didn't make the attempt.

Awesome thanks Bob...that's what I was looking for...Wish me luck!

blade doesn't even hit the paper let alone the cut strip

The solenoid may very well be bad. There are many places that can service these machines without having to go all the way back to the factory - which should help lessen your down-time.

The only one (svc. ctr.) that we know is right here in town, but I am sure you equipment seller would know. If you can find anybody or Graphtec cannot handle it in a reasonable amount of time, call Accugraphics (www.accugraphic.com) and ask for Ron.

If someone has the part (even Graphtec), then you may be able to convince them to send it to you and you do the installation. It is not hard but you should be "walked through" the very first time. The service centers will probably charge you for any parts, whereas Graphtec may not.

Just as a note, the reason for our original response is that we have many machines get ruined. Often times it is on machines out of warranty, and someone does not want to pay for the repair. Other times it is because people have jobs waiting, and everybody gets too impatient.

n20capri

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
The solenoid may very well be bad. There are many places that can service these machines without having to go all the way back to the factory - which should help lessen your down-time.

The only one (svc. ctr.) that we know is right here in town, but I am sure you equipment seller would know. If you can find anybody or Graphtec cannot handle it in a reasonable amount of time, call Accugraphics (www.accugraphic.com) and ask for Ron.

If someone has the part (even Graphtec), then you may be able to convince them to send it to you and you do the installation. It is not hard but you should be "walked through" the very first time. The service centers will probably charge you for any parts, whereas Graphtec may not.

Just as a note, the reason for our original response is that we have many machines get ruined. Often times it is on machines out of warranty, and someone does not want to pay for the repair. Other times it is because people have jobs waiting, and everybody gets too impatient.

I appreciate your help and understand what your saying...I definitely would NOT have taken anything apart other than the dust cap thingy...lol. I'm new to these machines and wouldn't want to void war or mess anything else up...I will however fix it myself with a new head if I have to...hopefully Graphtec will hook me up!

Thanks again.
Mike

tdgraphics

Mike,

We operate in Southern Ireland but dealt with Graphtec GB directly. We couriered the cutter overnight to England. They fixed it that day and sent it back overnight to Ireland. We were without the machine a couple of days. However we are fortunate enough that 2 of my brother in laws are also in the sign business and we were able to use their machines while ours was down. We are fortunate enough to work within 30 miles of each other and are on good terms so that we dig each other out in difficult circumstances.

There should at least be a service centre near to you that could fix the machine in a day or 2 at most. Are there any 'friendly' sign companies you could approach if you had a real urgent job that could not wait?

I hope you manage to get it sorted quickly.

Neil

n20capri

tdgraphics said:
Mike,

We operate in Southern Ireland but dealt with Graphtec GB directly. We couriered the cutter overnight to England. They fixed it that day and sent it back overnight to Ireland. We were without the machine a couple of days. However we are fortunate enough that 2 of my brother in laws are also in the sign business and we were able to use their machines while ours was down. We are fortunate enough to work within 30 miles of each other and are on good terms so that we dig each other out in difficult circumstances.

There should at least be a service centre near to you that could fix the machine in a day or 2 at most. Are there any 'friendly' sign companies you could approach if you had a real urgent job that could not wait?

I hope you manage to get it sorted quickly.

Neil
Thanks Neil...glad to hear the good news about Graphtec. There are a couple of sign/sticker places that I thought about asking to do some stuff for me but hopefully it won't come to that...I will if I have to though...I have the vinyl and the art...how much could they charge? lol :help:

Not sure of any plotter specific service centers around here but who knows...Maybe Graphtec or the distributor I get my supplies from will have a suggestion.

Thanks again,
Mike

n20capri

Finally got a hold of Graphtec...there is a service center in New Jersey (I'm in Philly) so hopefully it's not too far...otherwise I'm responsible for one way shipping...

For some reason this doesn't seem like it's going to be quick!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you set up a specific time, take it there yourself [or an employee], have them fix it and drive back all the same day ?? Then you're only down the drive there and back and it will be faster then UPS or Fed/Ex. Time not printing is more valuable at this point then a one way shipping cost. Anywhere in New Jersey is less then three hours. Leave early in the morning and be there at 8am and bring it back by that same evening.

n20capri

Gino said:
Why don't you set up a specific time, take it there yourself [or an employee], have them fix it and drive back all the same day ?? Then you're only down the drive there and back and it will be faster then UPS or Fed/Ex. Time not printing is more valuable at this point then a one way shipping cost. Anywhere in New Jersey is less then three hours. Leave early in the morning and be there at 8am and bring it back by that same evening.

That's definitely the plan...but I still haven't heard back from Graphtec (will call again tomorrow). I was hoping to be able to go Thursday because I'm off all morning from my regular job for a DR's appointment...so we'll see...