• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Double Sided Printing on a Wide Format

Posterboy

I have a recurring job of qty:40 double sided A0's that I have been outsourcing to a nother digital printer. I recently got a Roland eco sol wide format, so I want to start printing them inhouse.
I got some samples of double sided poster stock but I'm a little baffled as to how to proceed with the task.

I'm thinking to use versaworks to put the calibration marks(12mm diametre solid black circles in each corner) on the first side, then marking the circles manually on the other side. But I'm not sure if I should do that for each print, or if I can keep them on a roll and just calibrate the first one, not to mention the stock is blockout, so even holding the print on a lightbox I can't see the cailbration marks on the other side.

rfulford

Load the vinyl.

create a couple of notches with a razor blade on the left and right side of the media using a straight edge on your machine as a reference.

Print a few inches of your graphic for testing when you get around to printing the back side.

Advance the media a few inches and create another set of reference marks with the razor blade.

Print the front side of your graphics. Do not print too many. Try to only do what your are comfortable with to begin

Back the media back onto the roll and reload to print on the back side.

Advance the media to your first set of marks and line them up to the straight edge on your printer.

Print the first few inches of your graphic on your test area to check your alignment. I cut the corner of the print with the razor and lift it to see my alignment. If it is off, adjust your rip setting accordingly to offset the graphic to the left or right.

Once your alignment is correct run the back side graphics.

It is often helpful to create separate fronts and backs even if the image is the same on both sides. Set up your front side with a generous bleed and set up your back side with only white canvas so the image sizes match. Trim off the white canvas you you should be good to go.