• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DVD Labels with Summa DC4 / DC4sx

garisimo

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with making DVD labels on the DC4 series -- I read that paper labels might be finicky, but thought that a vinyl label might fare better. I'll probably print a couple samples and try them on some throw-aways if no one has tried... Cheers, and Happy New Beer!

-g-

dbenec

i seem to remember having screenprinted radio station decals that were printed on vinyl and cd shaped - i don't remember any troubles playing any discs they were on. that was a long time ago.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We used to do them on our Gerber Edge ... same idea. We had two problems with them:

1. They were difficult to apply. We bought a CD Stomper which helped some but we still would screw up more than we liked.

2. We had some CD unreadable failures that took a couple of months to show up. Can't prove it but I suspect the adhesive solvents on the vinyl had something to do with it.

We ultimately purchased a bulk ink setup for Epson inkjets sold by these people. Then we just stock in blank printable CDs and DVDs such as these and print them as we need them. If you're not familiar with Epson desktop inkjets, they have a special setup built into their machines for printing CD and DVD media.

Raulrdz

Printed labels on paper will work on cd's however labels of any kind, paper or vinyl will cause problems on many DVD's. Apparently the density of the DVD is greater than the cd's so the drive that spins the dvd cannot handle the added wieght of the labels in addition to that the tracks the laser reads are more compact because they need to pack more info in to the same space as a cd as such they are more prone to read errors caused by the imbalance of the label. But having said all that it's worth a try!