• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Easiest print/cut with Summa

rjssigns

Our Summa D140R arrives tomorrow and I have a ton of print/lam/cut jobs waiting. One of them is an order of 400 equipment decals. I need user feedback on the easiest to use print/cut software. Not real thrilled with having to generate one file for printing and another for cutting. Seems like a good way to introduce errors. All printing is done on a Roland SP540V.

We have an old version of Flexi Pro(7.6) that I can upgrade.
Could also resurrect an ErgoSoft RIP.
No Onyx though. I have experience with it, and don't care for the interface.

I need a dead simple all-in-one solution.

GraphicsSource

i would strongly recommend using Summa Winplot and its FREE, I've fought trying to use Caldera with my Summa and it's just more of a headache.

You'll need to download the plugin in for your design software to add the registration dots for your summa to read but once you do that:

1. design your file with artwork, cutlines, regmarks (save out as your composite file)
2. delete the layer with your artwork and save out as your cut file (.eps)
3. UNDO the layer delete
4. delete your cutlines layer and save out as your print file

Cut files for winplot do have to be saved out as an eps. I like having the separate print and cut files as it makes me feel like I have more control if I need to make small revisions (such as deleting double strokes, shifting a mis positioned path, etc...)

As someone thats used a Summa plotter with winplot, onyx, and caldera I can say that I'm the happiest with winplot. It does require a PC for the software though.

Tizz

Being a newbie with the summa cutter myself. I design in Illustrator and include the cutcontour. Apply the xymarks with the summa plugin and print through to the SP540 and rip with versaworks. Once laminated I opened the same file turn off the artwork layer leaving only the contour and reg marks and send this to winplot (summa plugin). Select the cut xymarks icon in winplot and setup the cutter on the first reg mark. Thats it.
I found it easy to use & setup and the cutting is accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: D2S

iladi

Flexi (cloud) user.

- Design in Corel (for example) no cut marks required

- assign CutContour color to the cut path

- export as .eps file keeping spot colors

- print file with Flexi on an HP310 machine check on the sent cut job to the Summa cutter (cut marks are generated automatic)

- after the job is printed insert it in the Summa and click "Send"

Done

jayhawksigns

Easiest workflow in my opinion is something like Flexi, and I would assume the other full rips, because its all in one.

With Flexi you just apply the contour cut line, and then rip & print. Load Production Manager and select the file in the interface and you are done.

Its not that using Summa's free plugins is hard, it just requires more steps and switching between multiple programs and having to deal with where you saved your files at.

rjssigns

i would strongly recommend using Summa Winplot and its FREE, I've fought trying to use Caldera with my Summa and it's just more of a headache.

You'll need to download the plugin in for your design software to add the registration dots for your summa to read but once you do that:

1. design your file with artwork, cutlines, regmarks (save out as your composite file)
2. delete the layer with your artwork and save out as your cut file (.eps)
3. UNDO the layer delete
4. delete your cutlines layer and save out as your print file

Cut files for winplot do have to be saved out as an eps. I like having the separate print and cut files as it makes me feel like I have more control if I need to make small revisions (such as deleting double strokes, shifting a mis positioned path, etc...)

As someone thats used a Summa plotter with winplot, onyx, and caldera I can say that I'm the happiest with winplot. It does require a PC for the software though.

I didn't know the cut files need to be .eps. Thanks for the .eps tip I'm going to redo a large file I set-up yesterday. I guess I'll give WinPlot an honest try. Problem is I got so used to setting up a file in Illustrator with CutContour then letting VW add the reg marks.

rjssigns

Easiest workflow in my opinion is something like Flexi, and I would assume the other full rips, because its all in one.

With Flexi you just apply the contour cut line, and then rip & print. Load Production Manager and select the file in the interface and you are done.

Its not that using Summa's free plugins is hard, it just requires more steps and switching between multiple programs and having to deal with where you saved your files at.

I like one stop shopping. LOL. Like I said in a previous post I'll give WinPlot a go, but I can already hear the little voices telling me to bite the bullet and upgrade my Flexi Pro.

I am one guy and up to my neck in work. If I can save a minute or two per file that will be huge at the end of the week.

Once I get into the thick of things I'll report back. Now where's that DHL truck with my Summa?

Lane J

We also use WinPlot. It is very simple.
I do what GraphicSource does, except for I do everything through Illustrator and save it as an .ai file.
Just drag it into WinPlot and start cutting.

rjssigns

Summa got here half an hour ago. :) It's out of the box and I have the stand assembled. Now I just have to wait for my helper to get back so I can get it on the stand.

Bly

Files for Winplot don't need to be eps - we save as ai.

Print/cut stuff we now use Onyx to create out files with barcode and cut from Summa Cutserver.
Simple cut jobs just open the file in Winplot & cut.

rjssigns

Made a simple test cut last night from WinPlot. So far so good. Going to work on the contour cut set up today and tomorrow.

GTArt

Being a newbie with the summa cutter myself. I design in Illustrator and include the cutcontour. Apply the xymarks with the summa plugin and print through to the SP540 and rip with versaworks. Once laminated I opened the same file turn off the artwork layer leaving only the contour and reg marks and send this to winplot (summa plugin). Select the cut xymarks icon in winplot and setup the cutter on the first reg mark. Thats it.
I found it easy to use & setup and the cutting is accurate.
Hi,

I'm a newbie myself with Summa and WinPlot and having problems setting them up so I can cut vinyl designed in Corel.
I have managed to install Winplot, Summa Cutter Control (SCC) and Corel plugin from Summa Cutter Tools and can now export from Corel straight to Winplot but my problem is the laptop won't find the cutter "Failed to oped device COM1" error comes up...
When trying to setup cutter from SCC the baud rate error comes up....
I'm using a serial cable from the cutter with a serial to USB adapter for my laptop as it doesn't have a serial port.
I don't know what to do next as I managed to change some settings from SCC few times but then the error pops up and I'm stuck.

Can anyone advise how to set them up properly from start to finish and all the steps I need to take in order to be able to finally use the cutter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GT

rjssigns

If you can hook up through a USB port I'd recommend that. Had the Summa cutting shortly after we got it on the stand.

GTArt

Hi,
Thanks for your response, I'm afraid my D750 hasn't got a USB post but only a serial and a parallel port so I'm a bit stuck here hence why using a serial to USB converter.

jayhawksigns

You are looking at an issue with your adapter, could be as simple as a Windows setting or your adapter may not be compatible. Some are finicky.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

GTArt

You are looking at an issue with your adapter, could be as simple as a Windows setting or your adapter may not be compatible. Some are finicky.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Any clue how to make it work as I'm running out of ideas.
Is there a certain order to install them or maybe
a setting I missed.
Anyone using Summa cutter with WinPlot and know how to make them work?

Thanks,
GT

qure

i have a d140r and i use illustrator with summa plugin and its working great except for artwork in clipping mask that summa plugin does not obey. my marks are around all of the artwork not just around clipping mask. workaround for this is to export to pdf then to flexi 10.5.1 but flexi does not have a OPOS XY marks just OPOS. is there anbody that has a solution for this problem. thanks

rjssigns

Update: Summa has been working great since Thursday. Contour cut graphics on 4 box trucks, smallest piece was 37" largest 96" Also started work on an order of 400 equipment decals. Only had one issue when it couldn't find the reg marks, but that was user error. Wasn't paying attention when I loaded the material.

Likes: I no longer cringe when an order for contour cut jobs come in.
No more splitting jobs into tiny segments and hoping they cut accurately.
I haven't had to make extra prints hoping I'll get enough usable after cutting.
I can load the Summa and get back to work.

Dislikes: Having to set up multiple copy Ai files with 20, 40, 50 pieces or more.
Having to set up a print file and a cut file.
Use two different software packages to complete the job. Not real efficient. YMMV. Every additional step is another place to introduce error.

Overall::) Should have bought the Summa a loooooong time ago.