• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Electrical Certification

Greenlight signs

How many of you have a certified electrician that works for you to wire in channel letters and etc? If you don't have one do you sub that part out or just do it you self?

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We have a TX electric sign contractors license. We work under a master electrician's license. I'm eventually going to accrue the 12000 hours to be able to take my master test and not have to work under anyone else.
TX is screwed up with licensing in this field. Cities wont issue permits without a license but the state doesnt have any licensing set up for a sign contractor. They lump us in with all electricians. I dont need to know everything like a regular electrician to work on signs, but will have to learn everything to take the test and get my own license. I cant foresee running into highline voltages or 3 phase in the sign business. If I do I will be contacting an electrician. My license only allows us to work on the sign itself, the house side has to still be subbed out to a master.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They lump us in with all electricians. I dont need to know everything like a regular electrician to work on signs, but will have to learn everything to take the test and get my own license.

I know, I wish there was a limited "sign license" that they could offer.

Greenlight signs

Alabama doesn't offer a electric sign contractors license, i've looked and looked. but you have to have a GC license if the job is over $50,000 or if the subcontractor work is over $50,000. i'm trying to figure out if i need to hire someone who is a electrican to be able to do low voltage installs or if i can do it myself with out a license.