• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Epson S80600 and UPS backups

Dockside2020

Hello guys, just got a new Epson 80600 and am looking for a battery backup solution for it. I bought one from APC and it works fine for the system and network cables but if I try to plug the heater into it, it immediately trips the breaker on the APC. Anyone know of a solution to this or do we just not worry about putting the heater portion on a surge?

Thanks.

CanuckSigns

Are you hoping to use the battery backup portion, or are you using it strictly as a surge protector? The battery backups that are available from a retail operation won't have enough juice to run a large format printer, you would need an industrial UPS which is very expensive.

For surge protection, I reccomend getting one installed directly on your breaker panel so it protects everything in your shop, we had one put on ours and it was around $500 installed, but we have 600v 3 ph service, so it might be less for you.

Dockside2020

I would totally go for the one installed on the panel but we rent our shop so we don't have that option. And all I'm really looking for is to have everything surge protected. The battery backup part really isn't all that important at this point.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The heater in the 80600 sucks close to 1500W while heating, so you'll need a big UPS to handle it.
What model APC did you get? My bets are on it not being large enough, hence the tripping.

CanuckSigns

I would totally go for the one installed on the panel but we rent our shop so we don't have that option. And all I'm really looking for is to have everything surge protected. The battery backup part really isn't all that important at this point.
We rent our shop as well, our landlord didn't have an issue with it. If/when we move we can take it with us (but probably won't as its not worth it)

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Why would you plug the heater in? who cares if the heater goes out, it will stay hot enough to help cure your prints for 10 to 15 minutes. Just protect your printer and get enough to get through the current print job if the power goes out.

Dockside2020

Why would you plug the heater in? who cares if the heater goes out, it will stay hot enough to help cure your prints for 10 to 15 minutes. Just protect your printer and get enough to get through the current print job if the power goes out.
I guess my only concern for it is for surge protection. Just don't want it getting fried in the event of a bad storm. I could care less about the battery part of it for the heater.

Saturn

Aging Member
I bought two and plugged each cord into one. Yeah when the heater is getting to temp one them is at 101% load/capacity, but when warmed up and printing I think you can get your expected couple minutes to at least power things down in a power outage. For me it's mostly the surge protection and small peace of mind. As others stated, they're not really made to run something pulling so much juice. You CAN turn off the buzzer though... ;)

ProColorGraphics

I have my S80 hooked into (2) of the CyberPower PR1500LCD units. I think they were around $450 each. I haven't had a major outage, but has definitely helped when it surges or goes out for long enough to make everything else shut off.

ikarasu

Buy a rack mount ups. We have a ups for out flatbed, and one for our two latexs. If the latexs can both be on at once... The s80 shouldn't be a problem!

https://excessups.com/ these guys are great. Send them the specs of the printer and they can recommend a refurbished ups and give run times on it. You're probably looking at $3-400 for a ups that lasts 10 minutes on your machine.. we paid roughly 2k and our two latex printers can go 20 minutes each. Worth it though, especially if you're in an area with power outages.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
If you insist on a ups big enough, buy a refurbished Eaton. The 9000 series pop up on eBay, to keep price reasonable. The big apc’s squeal under a heavy load & might do more damage to the electronics than they protect

Next week I will fire up the digital storage oscilloscope and post a short video showing WHY the wrong ups choice can cost you thousands

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Probably because the cheap APC's are square waves, the top middle is simulated sign waves and your AC plug is pure sign waves.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Jester, the cheaper ones are clipped square waves NO LOAD
I will shoot a little bit of video capture next week and post it.
You will never plug an expensive printer into one again

Val47

Hello guys, just got a new Epson 80600 and am looking for a battery backup solution for it. I bought one from APC and it works fine for the system and network cables but if I try to plug the heater into it, it immediately trips the breaker on the APC. Anyone know of a solution to this or do we just not worry about putting the heater portion on a surge?

Thanks.
It sounds like you are trying to plug a space heater in? Just don't do that. dedicate that power source/backup/surge to the printer... it has it's own heaters. We have and Epson S80600 (love it) I don't need any external appliances to help in the printing. If you are cold, find a better place to plug in the heater. :)