• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

EPSON SureColor S80600- HELP

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
Alright I wasn't sure exactly where to post this but here's what happened: I was looking through a bankruptcy auction for a sign shop in VA and threw a modest bid down on their epson sureColor s80600 not thinking there was a snowball's chance in HELL I'd actually get it. well I won. So, I currently use a HP 365 latex printer that while it has it's negatives, still a SOLID machine and nowhere near being ready to sell. additional printer is what the Epson would be, assuming I can make room for it in the print shop area (goodby kitchen).

My question is this: ANYBODY with any experience with this model please chime in, with likes, dislikes anything to keep my eyes open for? it's a $22 thousand machine new and after shipping and everything I'll probably be in for $9 total, so it's a good deal to me.

But anyone with any hands on experience is urged to let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

mim

0_o
I really love our s80! Bold colors, fast printing and fast (ish) dry times. I think quite a few people here use that model. The only thing I dislike about it is that it does automatic cleanings so it has to stay on all the time. Otherwise it will dry out and ruin the head.

If you're unsure if you want to keep it there was a guy here the other day wanting to buy one, I guess they're backordered, so it's lucky you got one!

Mike Brice

We've had our S80 for over three years now and have had very few issues. Maintenance is a breeze and ink lasts forever. Buy it.

Mike Brice

So, for those who've had or currently have one: anything in particular I should know about running white/metallic?
We found that there wasn't really any practical use because we already have an UV flat bed that prints white as well. Never worked with the silver but our white eventually ran out due to cleanings over the course of a few months. It was really a waste of money.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The good news is that you can do a (simple through the machine's interface panel) ink flush and fill using just a cleaning cartridge in that spot instead of keeping it inked up with white and silver inks.
We did not EVER use the silver ink and white inks orders were only like a few times a year. We swapped out both cartridges for cleaning cartridges and just jobbed out the white ink printing portion when we got an order.
We now only have S60600s since we don't need/use the specialty colors.

jfiscus

Rap Master
The other GREAT news it that Epson finally is letting other techs than DecisionOne work on their printers once they get certified.
D1 sucks most of the time, especially if you are out of warranty. Our local vendor/supplier is now certified so we have someone we can trust to work on our machines (if we ever need it).

Saturn

Aging Member
So, for those who've had or currently have one: anything in particular I should know about running white/metallic?

I wouldn't even think about white until you have the printer up in place and you're a pro at every other facet of running it. Most folks keep a cleaning cartridge in its place for good reason.

Until you think you can do at least a few rolls of clear or holographic a month, it's mostly just draining dollars into the waste tank. You're also looking at a more in-depth file setup process and potential issues reading regmarks and/or barcodes at the plotter/cutter. You can find a lot more info on here by searching for something like "holographic".

ikarasu

We never use white. Orders are far and few inbetween, we use it on our latex... And even then we load it once a month. Can't imagine doing it on our Epson and wasting so much cleaning fluid everytime.

If you print a bunch of white ink it's not bad.. but if you just plan on offering white ink... Just sub it out until you have enough orders to use it everyday.

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
OOOOKAY a little update, with my manager on vacation a week and other stuff I haven't had much of a chance to get the new printer up and running but I decided to try my first job on it, and picked alumigraphic to pop it's cherry (which is a first for us in this shop)

Anybody have any easy fixes for banding? Keep in mind it's a black graphic, my manager thinks it's due to the pass-through of the head and firing on both trips back and forth. I'm going to try to figure it out today, any tips?

mim

0_o
OOOOKAY a little update, with my manager on vacation a week and other stuff I haven't had much of a chance to get the new printer up and running but I decided to try my first job on it, and picked alumigraphic to pop it's cherry (which is a first for us in this shop)

Anybody have any easy fixes for banding? Keep in mind it's a black graphic, my manager thinks it's due to the pass-through of the head and firing on both trips back and forth. I'm going to try to figure it out today, any tips?
There are a few options here depending on what is causing the banding.
First, I'd do a manual cleaning of the head with a swab and cleaner fluid. Look up directions on how to do this to avoid scratching/damaging the head.

If that doesn't help, you can try..
Menu>Media Setup>Customize Settings>Current Settings>Media Adjust>Manual>Feed Adjustment>Standard
this helps tackle banding

If that's still no good then try Menu>Maintenance>Head Maintenance>Auto Head Maintenance

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
Thanks! I just did a auto cleaning and replaced black and the cleaning cartridge (both were super low) and I was going to do what you just laid out, found the banding part of the manual lol

• Agree
Reactions: mim

yannb

Thanks! I just did a auto cleaning and replaced black and the cleaning cartridge (both were super low) and I was going to do what you just laid out, found the banding part of the manual lol
Print at 8 pass HQ, and banding is normally gone. Still there? A few cleanings will surely help.