• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Exporting Graphtec files to Flexi and Printing

chrism2022

I'm struggling here. I recently picked up a Mimaki CJV150 and I'm using Flexi. I also have a Graphtec cutter and used Graphtec Pro Studio. I wanted to take my cut files from Graphtec Pro Studio, export to Flexi, and fill between the cut lines to make colored graphics. I cant seem to make this work. I've watched a ton of tutorials, etc. and nothing seems to cover what I want to do. I have all the cut files, I just want to add color to them. Is it not that easy?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Could you not just create the same things in Flexi itself or your preferred design software and just let Flexi run both the printer and the cutter? That is what we do (we do not use Rasterlink or Summa software), although we do most design in Illustrator/Photoshop. We run a Summa cutter with our Mimaki - bring artwork into Flexi and add the contour cuts within Flexi. Flexi will also just directly cut vector art (no cutlines needed for vector unless cutting printed art).

Not saying what you are doing is wrong. Just not really understanding I guess. Flexi, generally speaking, replaces software that comes with a printer and/or cutter as it does what included machines software can do better (usually). Flexi has full design ability as well but not really a replacement for something like Illustrator but supplements it nicely with certain things that it can do better.

MFA

Same Day Signs
If your Graphtec Pro files are dxf file type just select the shape you want to fill with color, make sure solid fill is selected and wireframe is not selected. Sometimes with a shape I select automatic path direction to get it to fill. Sometimes I create a second shape and compound the shapes. Then convert to outline and get rid of the extra shapes. I have no idea why closed shapes don’t fill sometimes but these are my workarounds.

MFA

Same Day Signs
On second thought after reading some posts about Graphtec software try this.
I use Graphtec Studio, which is basically the same thing, and it can't export either. I was googling a while back and found that you can install a PDF writing program and instead of cutting or saving your file, click print and select the PDF writer, which will make it create a PDF with your image inside. You can then open the PDF with inkscape and export the image as eps.
After you import the PDF into Flexi, you should be able to fill it with color.

chrism2022

I appreciate the help. Graphtec Pro Studio does let you export. I have tried exporting several different file types from Photoshop, PDF, Flexi, AI, etc...Most of the files exported lose some of the lines or quality in the process. Exporting as an Illustrator file type seems to work the best. Problem is, I absolutely suck at illustrator. I'm better with Photoshop, but like I said, the exported file looks like its missing lines, etc in photoshop.

Was really hoping I could do the designing in Flexi, but it seems like Illustrator is going to have to work. One thing I've already noticed when importing the finished AI file as a PNG back into Flexi, the contour cut isn't dead on either. Kind of frustrating. Guess its all a learning process. More annoyed that I have this new printer sitting here for a week and cant get into production until I have a big enough grasp with Illustrator.

weyandsign

In Flexi select the cutlines, then goto Effects -> Combine -> Weld by color. This will convert the cutlines into objects that you can color. You might have to add new cutlines.

Last edited:

chrism2022

In Flexi select the cutlines, then goto Effects -> Combine -> Weld by color. This will convert the cutlines into objects that you can color. You might have to add new cutlines.
I just tried this on a file that had 2 sets of cut lines. I'm able to color it no problem - but both sets of cut lines still appear

chrism2022

Whoa...ok I didnt realize this. So all stroke lines are there for separation in the image so to speak. In order to cut, I need to make contour cuts on the parts of the image that I want cut out or around?

weyandsign

The stroke lines might cut, i'm not sure. You could just clear the stroke lines and goto Effects -> contour cut, and make new cut lines.