• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Fathead" material Choices

Git-R-Done

Hello all, It has been a while. I have a question or two about my choices for materials to use for a semi-gloss painted interior wall for an upcoming project. Now I have done these in the past with mostly good and one bad outcome. I have always used 3M (???) or oracal (orajet 3268m) version of the wallscape/fathead material. What I have to do now is 3- 10 foot wideby 4 foot tall prints to go on these semi-gloss walls and I just wanted to get a feal for what the masses are using (material wise and prep wise) to do a job like this. It is going in a kids zone of a preschool so I want to laminate for the prints protection but I just want to make sure there will be NO edge curling. Suggestions would be great.

Thanks agin,
G-R-D

Letterbox Mike

Is this a permanent or temporary installation?

If temporary, I'd go with MacTac Wall Noodle or Roodle depending on if the print bleeds or not. Wall Noodle needs about 1/4"-1/2" white around it to avoid edge curl, Roodle is for full-bleed images. We've only experimented with Roodle so far but it seems to work great, and we've been using Wall Noodle for many years with excellent results.

If permanent, I'd go with Phototex over a vinyl material, it's going to stick and stay stuck long term much better. This would actually be an option for a removable image as well as Phototex does remove from the wall cleanly.

34Ford

Received a sample of Phototex yesterday. Looking forward to trying it out.
Sounds like a great product.

ucmj22

phototex is really nice, but for this application, I might pass. you'd probably have to liquid lam it as it does scratch easier than I would like.

TheSnowman

All I use is PhotoTex. I tried them all when they came out. The Oracal, The MacTac, some "house brand" they all curled. Once I went PhotoTex I never looked again. Doesn't curl at all. Gotta cut it mega slow on a plotter, but it works.

C

ColoPrinthead

I really like phototex and have had success with Avery 2611. I will say that I have had the 2611 remove eggshell paint when pulling up a sample on my office wall after about 4-5 weeks. I have a full bleed 3'x6' wall graphic in my apartment on 2611 and the edges are staying down fine after 3 months.