• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

File server question

White Haus

Not a Newbie
How much space do you need?
I'm still trying to figure that out. We could probably safely archive 90% of our working files so I still need to work out that number.

I have around 600 GB with all our company files but I'd guess we can probably cut that in half for files that we regularly need to access.

ikarasu

Did you guys enable Port trunking to get 2 GB instead of 1?

I had to disable mine because the NAS CPU is weak... but my nas is half the specs of yours, so it should work and make it way faster. It's more of a load balancing...so if 2 people are accessing it at once, it'll use 1 port for each person.

Good for if you do a lot of big files at least!

CanuckSigns

Did you guys enable Port trunking to get 2 GB instead of 1?

I had to disable mine because the NAS CPU is weak... but my nas is half the specs of yours, so it should work and make it way faster. It's more of a load balancing...so if 2 people are accessing it at once, it'll use 1 port for each person.

Good for if you do a lot of big files at least!
Yes we did, like you said it doesn't increase the transfer speed per say, but it allows 2 people to work off it without cutting the bandwidth in half, which is nice.

CanuckSigns

I'm still trying to figure that out. We could probably safely archive 90% of our working files so I still need to work out that number.

I have around 600 GB with all our company files but I'd guess we can probably cut that in half for files that we regularly need to access.
honestly 600 GB is nothing, I would just back it all up, it would still be less than $5 / month

Massive hard drives are practically free now. I manage all data through google drive, no physical data held period. Been this way for a decade. Data is quick and easy accessible from any computer or device I'm logged into. Couple bucks a month for the heavy storage. I sleep well at night.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I forgot to add. I wouldn't bother backing it up online and your NAS. Yeah it's a very precautionary thing to do but it's not really needed.

CanuckSigns

I forgot to add. I wouldn't bother backing it up online and your NAS. Yeah it's a very precautionary thing to do but it's not really needed.
What happens if there is a fire or flood? We had a fire 8 years ago, lost everything including our file server and the USB drive I used for backing up when I remembered, sitting beside the file server.

Luckily we had cloud backups, I was able to re-download everything to a new pc in a day or 2 and wasn't missing a single file, the backup cost me $60 / year, I think that is the best $60 I spent that year.

ikarasu

I trust cloud over local anyday. If you get ransomware, chances are they hit your Nas as well since your account has access to all the files. You can set it up so it backs up to a folder with no access... But still! With how cheap cloud is, no reason not to have it too

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I just hate cloud storage... personally.

There's another option.
You can get another NAS and put it at home etc and get that to back up your work NAS. Same as the cloud but more expensive. but useful.

Check out this video

There's some useful tips on setting up the nas for extra security etc.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I just hate cloud storage... personally.

There's another option.
You can get another NAS and put it at home etc and get that to back up your work NAS. Same as the cloud but more expensive. but useful.

Check out this video

There's some useful tips on setting up the nas for extra security etc.
Thanks for this. Definitely makes me more comfortable setting something like this up.