• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First accidental design challenge for fun!

SignManiac

Quite by accident, a volunteer design challenge happened and the participation was eagerly greeted. The task was to design a fictitious 4'x8' wall sign using anything you like. Fonts, colors, panels, graphics, anything at all. The only criteria was to use the same name and copy as everyone else.

The purpose was to time yourself and share with others, the software you design with and to see how long it takes each of us to come up with the design solutions shown below, realizing that everyone's skill level is different due to many factors. Years designing, software proficiency, etc.

The added benefit is to show that there are many ways to create and design, plus to help show many of the different ideas that we all came up with. Hopefully this will help you when you hit that creative brick wall from time to time, like we all do at times.

Here are the designs from the first challenge! Thank you all for so many entries. Each and every design submitted has something good to offer to each of us hoping to improve our work and most importantly, to be able to up sell your work for clients willing to pay for something better than just basic letters on a board!

I think there might be a limit to how many images can be posted on one thread so I'll put the rest under this one.

P.S. I hope I didn't forget anyone's design. I went through the thread but might have accidentally omitted one. Let me know if yours isn't here.

P.S.S. For those of you who may have struggled, study the designs you like about them and try to figure out what it is you like. Learn to analyze and critique your own work, even after it's done and see if there's anything you would change in retrospect. Become your own worst critic and you will learn very fast!

Attachments

• GOOFY.jpg
    GOOFY.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 282
  • PA.jpg
    PA.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 268
  • port1.jpg
    port1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 278
  • port aurthor doug.jpg
    port aurthor doug.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 250
  • port aurthor jhill.jpg
    port aurthor jhill.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 255
  • port aurthor jill2.jpg
    port aurthor jill2.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 259
  • port aurthor jill.jpg
    port aurthor jill.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 255
  • port aurthor john.jpg
    port aurthor john.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 263
  • port aurthor rick2.jpg
    port aurthor rick2.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 247
  • port aurthor rick.jpg
    port aurthor rick.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

SignManiac

Here are the others.

Attachments

• port aurthor tiki.jpg
    port aurthor tiki.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 260
  • Port Author1.jpg
    Port Author1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Port Author2.jpg
    Port Author2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Port Author3.jpg
    Port Author3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 240
  • Port Author4.jpg
    Port Author4.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 243
  • port author day.jpg
    port author day.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 253
  • port author flame.jpg
    port author flame.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 256
  • port author gino.jpg
    port author gino.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 259
  • port author.jpg
    port author.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 252
  • port authors recycling.jpg
    port authors recycling.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 261
  • PortArthur2darker.jpg
    PortArthur2darker.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Port-Auther Sak.jpg
    Port-Auther Sak.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 252

SignManiac

A few more:

Attachments

• Port-Author-4'x8'.jpg
    Port-Author-4'x8'.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 238
  • Port-Author-Recycling.gif
    Port-Author-Recycling.gif
    95.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Port-Author-rjpjr-2.jpg
    Port-Author-rjpjr-2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Port-Author-rjpjr-3.jpg
    Port-Author-rjpjr-3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 232
  • recylcing-banner.jpg
    recylcing-banner.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 255

acothran

Thanks for sharing and very interesting. Is there any way to identify the designer, what software was used, and approximate amount of time on the design? Thanks again maniac.

Allen

dlndesign

I'd like to know how much time each design took. That would really be some good info. BTW, Rick, you rock.

acothran

No problem. I didn't get in on this one but I like the idea of doing these "challenges". It is really nice to see how one idea (i.e. information from a customer) can get taken in so many different directions. Whether good or bad, you can learn something from each entry. With 27 entries, I definitely learned more than reading 27 critiques of one sign.

Allen