• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First steps in the World of Plotters (looking for advice)

egnartS

Hello there.

I am about to take my first steps in the World of Plotters.

Being a Graphic Designer for over 15 years.
Running my own design & print business for 10+ years at Greece.

So far beside designs my work objects was
-toner printing (business cards / flyers / posters etc) (Konica Minolta Bizhub Pro 1060)
-vinyl cuts for custom made tshirt printing and vinyl cut stickers (SUMMA D60)

Through all those years I was providing my customers various Plotter Prints indoor/outdoor from collaborators.
Now I finally managed to get myself a decent (but low) budget to enter this market on my own.

My first option was to get an eco-sol printer and since those are my first steps I have to also cut some budget to aim for a laminator and maybe a wider cutter (gonna keep old SUMMA for sideworks).
My thoughts were for MUTOH XpertJet 1641R / EPSON SC-S40610 and also 2in1 Roland TrueVIS SG2 plus a starter laminator.

But then I found out about Latex printing and got curious.
On my web search for the latest HP Latex 700w i got impressed about the opportunities
especially with the white toner ( to be honest i don't even know if that extra option will work for me but for now i think positive about it).
My search brought me to this forum and I must say this place was the best option to read and learn many extra things about the machine.

I got in contact with a local dealer who only could get me a demo of the previous 335 2020 model.
After the demo he informed me that I will have to wait about 2 more months to demo the 700/800w as he is waiting for a delivery on new machines.
At that point he made me an offer for the 335 demo machine and the hp 64 cutter from the HP Print-Cut bundle. Both demo used plus a brand new laminator.
The cost of all those 3 machines was lower by 2.000 euros from a brand new 700w by itself. No lam - No cutter.

So here I am. Asking for advice from experienced people.
I only have knowledge about all those machines and their differences from what i read on manufactures sites - videos and Signs 101 forum.
(There are confusion in my head about costs / printheads / production / overcoat / and almost everything about those machines i am not very familiar with)

* I should also mention that my work space is right in the center of the city and I do not have too much space free for those machines.
So my conclusion to latex was also for less space - front load - way less smells in shop and not that much self maintenance like eco-sol machines.

Thank you for your time.
(sorry for long text ...and my english)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I say forget the 700W if you have no use for the white, as you say you don't. It's overkill for you.
Get something used to start up. So many people buying these machines new to sit them in the garage printing few jobs a month. Not worth it.
Or outsource the work to begin and then think about it.

Last edited:

egnartS

I say forget the 700W if you have no use for the white, as you say you don't. It's overkill for you.
Get something used to start up. Some many people buying these machines new to sit them in the garage printing few jobs a month. Not worth it.
Or outsource the work to begin and then think about it.
I tent towards this. I understand that three machines collab will be way better for start.
Beside the white ink 700 vs 335 have many improvements. But my main consider about those two is the print result. The 335 prints looked a bit grainy to me. If the result is the same on 700 then i can pass.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I tent towards this. I understand that three machines collab will be way better for start.
Beside the white ink 700 vs 335 have many improvements. But my main consider about those two is the print result. The 335 prints looked a bit grainy to me. If the result is the same on 700 then i can pass.
For small use you don't gain that much with the 700. Yes it has some improvements but you spend so much more money it costs you a lot more.
300 and 700 has about the same amount of grain. If anything 700 might have a little more grainy output. It's just on different shades, not always on same colours.

One thing you have to remember, these are all large format printers. All the other brands as well.

egnartS

For small use you don't gain that much with the 700. Yes it has some improvements but you spend so much more money it costs you a lot more.
300 and 700 has about the same amount of grain. If anything 700 might have a little more grainy output. It's just on different shades, not always on same colours.

One thing you have to remember, these are all large format printers. All the other brands as well.
Thank you for making this clear.

May i ask?
Should i consider eco-sol option? for better print results and maybe better work gain.

My thoughts going to latex are to avoid smells, to gain space and not have to do the weekly/monthly maintance needed (that part cause of newbie).
Also anti-scratch comes handy not to have to laminate small vinyl works or works for a small period(like "Sales" stickers)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's a give and take. You gain some features and lose some. Think what's most important for you.
If you need absolute best quality for small stickers and such, think about Epson S40600 for example.
Maybe some of the other things are more important for you, you can consider something else.

You just can't get everything.

egnartS

It's a give and take. You gain some features and lose some. Think what's most important for you.
If you need absolute best quality for small stickers and such, think about Epson S40600 for example.
Maybe some of the other things are more important for you, you can consider something else.

You just can't get everything.
Yeah..i know this...like a general rule in life...cant have it all ;)
Well thank you very much balstestrat. I got your point and this is helpful to me.