• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First time printing truck wrap (Arlon, Roland xr640) Suggestions?

tedbragg

We're printing the wraps for a plumber's fleet, and this is the first time I'm doing actual 'wrap' and not just partial/spot decals. We use EcoSol 4 Max inks and I was just given a bunch of Arlon vinyl to print on.

Do I need to let these sit up and gas out before laminating? If so, what's the general consensus on how long to wait? I'd refer to the documentation but can't find anything on Arlon's site or anywhere else about that.

Also, do ya'll try to match the material ICC or do you just go with a stock media type? I've been using Arlon's 3640's profile with great results on everything from cheapo Oracal to 3M IJ35. Since these are going to be wrapped on work trucks, out in the elements, I'm not sure that will last for long. Can't identify which media type this roll of Arlon wrap is, tho.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Just to get the ball rolling - so others will chime in and tell you how wrong I am ( :p )... We have an XR 640, and since I've been here (7 years) we always use the same profile for everything on that printer (RIP is VersaWorks). The profile we use is MPP-SG Photo SemiGloss Paper - Regardless of the brand of vinyl, and we always let it outgass for approx 24 hours. We will print, and then laminate the next day.

signheremd

We off gas for 2 hours or overnight if printing late in the day. Main thing is the prints are dry to the touch completely. We usually use a premium vinyl profile, though we do have one specifically for Arlon SLX as well

JBurton

Signtologist
Can't identify which media type this roll of Arlon wrap is, tho.
This is going to be a problem. Mostly for the installers... No labels inside? Got a picture of the adhesive side? Can you mic the thickness of the film?
we always use the same profile for everything on that printer
This is up there with me printing everything at 20 passes, but worse! Boudica, back to the ice cave with you!

Boudica

This is up there with me printing everything at 20 passes, but worse! Boudica, back to the ice cave with you!

What can I say, it works, and it's consistent. on that printer anyway. From the Roland to the Epson - that's another story.
20 passes?! just HOW is that better than using a generic profile?

Just point me in the direction of that ice cave - triple digits all week here, it's fricken hot.

JBurton

Signtologist
What can I say, it works, and it's consistent. on that printer anyway. From the Roland to the Epson - that's another story.
20 passes?! just HOW is that better than using a generic profile?

Just point me in the direction of that ice cave - triple digits all week here, it's fricken hot.
That's freaking wild. The high here was 84F today. Of course we've been beat repeatedly by 100F days so there's that.
All I can say is that at 20 passes the printer might run for 5 hours... all week. At 6 passes that's, what, 1.5 hours? Hardly enough time for a nap!

Boudica

Aside from the profile stuff... When you tile the artwork, be sure to give yourself a 1" overlap. And make sure you have a couple of inches all the way around. You can always trim extra, but in the middle of an install, you can magically make it longer. Well, vinyl, you can... But you don't want to risk stretching the color out.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
The main thing will be watching out for oversaturating your vinyl with ink, especially on a full wrap, so it might be worth (for a number of reasons) finding out exactly what media you're using and making sure you're using a suitable profile.

Speaking from experience, heavy coverage wrap panels will NOT be fun to work with especially if it's your first time doing wraps.
For heavy coverage wrap panels we would offgas for at least 48 hours if we can get away with it - rolled loosely over our mcguiver off-gas station. (Small fans pulling air down)

Good luck with the project, if you're doing a fleet you will have learned (and sworn) a lot by the end and will either be ready to take on more work like this or never want to touch a vehicle again....!