• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First time translucent install...

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hi All -- tomorrow I have my first install for translucent vinyl. It's a simple design with just black translucent vinyl size of 18" x 44". I'm expecting a temperature of 55 degrees...it states a minimum temp of 47 degrees. Is there anything I should be aware of or do differently than I would normally do on say a vehicle? I'm expecting this to be a quick and easy job...am I right? Advice welcome, thanks in advance!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Trans can rip easier when removing the transfer tape if your using it... Not sure how it works on a vehicle...that would be a first for me.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Trans can rip easier when removing the transfer tape if your using it... Not sure how it works on a vehicle...that would be a first for me.
LOL! I didn't word that very well ha ha -- OK, that's great advice, I'll be sure to be careful, thank you!!!

Kottwitz-Graphics

I assume your installing on a sign face (polycarb or acrylic)...

If so, lots of soapy water... lots... it can't be too wet. use a pump up sprayer and soak it down...

Kottwitz-Graphics

Yes, correct...OK, thank you!!!

And it would be easier to lay the faces down flat, place the graphics on the face, application taped side down, and peel the backing off, spray the adhesive with lots of soapy water, lift the side and spray underneath, flip, and place them. squeegee from the center out, respray, and squeegee again. get the application tape just drentched... give 15 or 20 minutes, then remove the application tape at 180 degrees, back on itself, and go slow...

pop and drain any water bubbles left, and then install.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If this 18" x 44" is a reverse then I'd float it on, which is wetting the face and the adhesive side of the vinyl with a liquid of your choice and just making sure you squeegee the living daylights outta it to remove all the water from behind. Otherwise, the water will eventually evaporate and turn into air gaps and not look very nice. If it is just die-cut translucent letters, do it dry. Might as well learn to do it right sometime.

petepaz

something that size shouldn't be too bad but if it's on the cold side of the thermometer be gentle the colder the easier the rip. i have done installs as low as 30 degrees (not recommended but it can be done). i also do mostly dry installs myself but which ever way you are comfortable and works for you is the way to go

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You don't have to, it's just easier if you have large solid areas. For copy, we don't use it.

unclebun

I didn't know you had to wet translucent vinyl before applying? I've been doing them all dry
So do we--especially if it's cold out when you do it.
The only time we've used wet application for translucent was when we did some double layer prints before we figured out how to maintain registration dry.

Stacey K

I like making signs
It went good, thanks all! Client's "logo" was basically just copy. I wet applied one side and squeeged the heck out of it but realized I really didn't need to wet apply so I dry applied the second side. Was in and out pretty quickly. I can see how the vinyl could tear pretty easily so I was very careful. She gave me a 5 star FB review for great service and posted a pic so I guess she liked it!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It went good, thanks all! Client's "logo" was basically just copy. I wet applied one side and squeeged the heck out of it but realized I really didn't need to wet apply so I dry applied the second side. Was in and out pretty quickly. I can see how the vinyl could tear pretty easily so I was very careful. She gave me a 5 star FB review for great service and posted a pic so I guess she liked it!

Good to hear. If you're on Google get them to review you there...you'll get a bigger bang for your buck. Business owners are searching Google not Facebook from what I can tell.

SignaSigns

We only use water in the peak of summertime or when we have to slide the graphics in to place. It's pretty cold most and wet most of the year in Scotland though, I'd do 2 small tests first.