• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flatbed Relocation - Oce Arizona 360GT

Jake Howard

Hi Guys, Just wondering if anybody has personally looked after the relocation of their UV flatbed??
We are moving premises very shortly and Canon have quoted us 3 times as much to move our Arizona 360GT as they did 2 years ago for an almost identical relocation!
Would prefer to let them handle the move so any risk is on them but I think they are just taking the **** at this stage.

Wondering if anyone has attempted this themselves & if so what they needed to do to get the machine ready to move??

We are only moving the printer a few streets away and it will only be powered down for an hr or so.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Jake Howard

Hi Pat!
The quote basically states estimated 16hrs engineer costs @$236 per hr & $2058 for carrier costs, as well as $210 of miscellaneous costs.

Not sure if Canon are supplying the crate or the carriers are.

DSC

We moved our oce last February in the cold.. It was close to 32 degrees, so the main concern was the temp..

The other concern was twisting the printer out of square .. but we were careful and had no issues.

I hired our local rigging company that I use to do the job ..

They had a bed that lowered to the ground a "low boy"(like a tow-truck) and we just rolled it on to that bed, raised the bed up and flat, and then transferred it from the bed to a box truck

Used a couple of steel pieces to make the bridge from truck to truck. There was only about a 2" gap..

Strapped it in, No crate. Removed the ink bags only ..

The way I looked at it was that the box truck was a huge crate..

We are at dock level so we just rolled it into the shop ..

Ran a couple quick flushes and it was good to go..

I was super nervous about not using a crate, but the cost was so $$$$ to have canon come in, I figured I would do it ourselves..

We have moved a few machines in our time (cnc, lasers, shears etc.. ) and this one was by far the lightest, so no huge machines needed to push or pick up .

Total cost was less that $1000 ..

Good luck!

tollerdad

We moved our oce last February in the cold.. It was close to 32 degrees, so the main concern was the temp..

The other concern was twisting the printer out of square .. but we were careful and had no issues.

I hired our local rigging company that I use to do the job ..

They had a bed that lowered to the ground a "low boy"(like a tow-truck) and we just rolled it on to that bed, raised the bed up and flat, and then transferred it from the bed to a box truck

Used a couple of steel pieces to make the bridge from truck to truck. There was only about a 2" gap..

Strapped it in, No crate. Removed the ink bags only ..

The way I looked at it was that the box truck was a huge crate..

We are at dock level so we just rolled it into the shop ..

Ran a couple quick flushes and it was good to go..

I was super nervous about not using a crate, but the cost was so $$$$ to have canon come in, I figured I would do it ourselves..

We have moved a few machines in our time (cnc, lasers, shears etc.. ) and this one was by far the lightest, so no huge machines needed to push or pick up .

Total cost was less that $1000 ..

Good luck!
Hi, regarding moving your printer. Did you drain the ink reserviors above the heads or did they maintain negative pressure and not drain out?

AlsEU

Hi, regarding moving your printer. Did you drain the ink reserviors above the heads or did they maintain negative pressure and not drain out?
I suppose that after 7 years he could not remember such details.
But to move the printer further than a few meters, to a different facility and so on (using anything else than the printer's own wheels) you should drain all systems in the printer (inks, coolant). Heads won't keep the negative pressure longer than a few hours without a power supply. And remember that the printer cannot be lifted with the forklifts, you could bend the frame this way and lose the table geometry forever.

tollerdad

I suppose that after 7 years he could not remember such details.
But to move the printer further than a few meters, to a different facility and so on (using anything else than the printer's own wheels) you should drain all systems in the printer (inks, coolant). Heads won't keep the negative pressure longer than a few hours without a power supply. And remember that the printer cannot be lifted with the forklifts, you could bend the frame this way and lose the table geometry forever.
Thanks I had a crate built similar to oem that we'll use to load it and have the carriage bumper and gantry blocks. In place I'll drain the reservoir as well and remove the inks. It will be powered down for about 24 hours.

tollerdad

Update on my 460GT. Moved it today about 10 miles. Hired a rigger to move it and they built a crate for it. I prepped the machine by locking the gantry with the original blocks, lowered the carriage onto the rubber bumpers from the original installation and drained the ink reservoirs. I also removed the ink bags and the lamp housings. We used pieces of steel for ramps and rolled the printer into the crate as well as out of the crate. Pushed it in place at new spot, leveled it and inked it back up after removing the bumpers and gantry locks. Fired up and printing great. Need to be careful but not rocket science.