• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Flexi Summa barcode - regmarks placed wrong

Saturn

Aging Member
Am I right in my long held assumption that for Summa Regmarks there needs to be an odd number on each side if there are more than just the two (front and rear)? Basically, if there are more than just the two, one of the Regmarks needs to be equidistant between them, hence why it should always come out an odd number (3, 5, 7, etc.) unless it's 2.

I'm trying to get up to speed on the using Flexi Barcode Server via 'RIP and PRINT' and I just had Flexi print out some stuff that had four regmarks along the sides and the Summa did not want to read them, and in fact after reading the front one zipped up to the halfway mark to try and find the missing middle one...

I'm keeping the Media Length to about 36" so I can have the Summa cut them in manageable sheets for production. I think I can figure out a workaround by telling Flexi what the max distance to allow marks, but it seems goofy that Flexi would punt on something so fundamental. If it's doing the imposing and making the cut files, how is it not aware where the marks are?

Did any of that make sense? Thoughts or questions?

Photo of the sheet--
http://hijk.xyz/public-images/FlexiNoCenterRegmark.jpg

Saturn

Aging Member
Huh, just printed out another test where I made sure to get the regmarks distributed where I thought they should be, but after reading the barcode and pulling up the right file, the cutter still went looking in the wrong spot... Hmppph.

Anyone got a list of common pitfalls in Flexi when trying to get up to speed on Print/Cut?

Christian @ 2CT Media

No not at all, you can have even count of marks and they don't need to be equidistant. So it sounds like a stupid question, but are you running your cut file the way it's loaded?

Also are you using USB? If so did you adjust the bit rate?

Saturn

Aging Member
Thanks Christian, those are exactly the questions I'm looking for.

They're being loaded correctly. The barcode is set to only print on one side, and it's reading it and loading a file in PM, just dangling trying to find a second regmark.

I am using USB, but I've been using USB for the last couple years to cut from Winplot. I also have success with the barcode Print/RIP in Flexi if I just do a 'repeat job' such and such many times, so I don't think there's a communication issue. It's only when I try to limit the media length to keep a manageable break in amounts per sheet that things go wonky. Maybe that isn't a good solution anyway... ?

My problem with doing just them the 'repeat job x times' way is that you can't easily tell how many copies you have queued up just by looking at in the PM holding queue. So if the final count needs to be 150, but I make a 50-up job and repeat 3 times, in PM, as far as I can tell, it just says 50 copies, with no quick way to tell how many repeats.

Basically I'm looking for a way to take what would be a 10 foot job and limit it to three 3' ft sheets and a 1' ft sheet instead, or something like that. I can't imagine that when people need 2500 stickers in Flexi they're always doing a job 20' feet long? I'm sure I'm overlooking something really fundamental. I'd love for a 250-piece job to just be able to say "Print 270 and keep sheets no longer than 36" inches" and have Flexi do the rest.

Saturn

Aging Member
Is that the default? Good to know, I always hope it's a bug and not me, but I find it's easier to overcome user error than programmer error in the long run. ;p