• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Font ID needed (1st time asking).

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
yeah, I've got disks with 25,000 fonts "by name" but for the life of me, I can't find this one.
I normally go to the on-line resources like "Font Identifier from Image".
I am rebuilding a military squadron plaque and need to have the text in 3/4" plastic letters.
The letters "E, S, and 6" are the ones that are giving me grief. Yes, I am building the 8" plaque "by hand" and not using any kind of CNC or 3D printer.
the attached photos are the only examples in existence (that I can find) for this plaque.
601.png
Plaque 2.jpg

Plaque 3.png

IMG_06.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

The modeling is still "A Work in Progress" so it is being fine-tuned every day. (Super Sculpey on MDF).

John_Smith

wow - that helps a LOT Johnny !!
so close that it will fly. This plaque was probably made back in the late '50s - early 60's. So there's no telling where the font came from.
Since I've changed a few of the details in the plaque, the "exact" font is not really that critical. But, to have it this close will be the icing on the cake.
Thank You so much for taking the time to do your research - it is very, very much appreciated.
I retired from the SignBiz 20 years ago but I sill like to dabble in the craft. I finished the plaque up last night with the last oven bake (Super Sculpey) and now I can focus on finding a 3-D printer in my area and have the text printed and it will be off to the molding & casting.
Thanks to all who may have put some effort into it also.
601.JPG

John_Smith

thanks guys. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and use laser cut out letters.
this is how it looks as of now, waiting on the letters. (I'm going with the Minion Pro Bold)

IMG_0002 (3).JPG

IMG_0004 (4).JPG

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
That is awesome. Definitely a lost art now days. I give you great props for sure.
Laser cut will be smoother than 3D printed for sure.

What are you going to cast it in?

I used to cast a ton of stuff in pewter and brass. Hand made bucks and sheet rubber molds in a heated press, then spun in an centrifugal casting machine AKA "The Death Machine" made from an old washing machine motor. We made 1000s of belt buckles. We used 454 cylinder sleeves with wax trees and plaster for molds to cast the brass in. All of that was a lifetime ago. Its a wonder I lived through those days. I was spinning a run of brass parts and lost a mold and it went through the plywood side of the machine, a cinder block wall, and into the parking lot. After that I made everyone leave the building when we were casting.

John_Smith

thanks Mike - ohhhhhh no spinning !!
strictly resin cast in a rubber mold or sand casting in a foundry (them, not me).
I was making or refurbishing military squadron plaques for several years before retirement. I found the original squadron design of my first duty station and with too much time on my hands, I decided to piddle around with it. With a little research, there are no original plaques for sale on the WWW so I think I can get a few resin (or brass) replicas to those that want them. The DESDIV 601 members would be in their late'60s to mid 90s now. I think the squadron was decommissioned around 1969 or so when the sonar school in Key West closed up shop.
it's just another Covid Project.
Spear Plaques.JPG

LY Spear 1.JPG