• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

For Those That Love Ads

WildWestDesigns

Manifest v3 is coming for Google based browser users (and that's a lot more than people realize, not just Chrome and Chromium users, but a huge swath of others). That will severally cripple everyone's respective favorite ad blocker (or any other privacy focused extensions).

Get ready for more ads for those that handle them with ad blockers. I would suspect it has to do with the new declarativeNetRequest API. Of course, none of this is all that surprising given Google's business model (and other companies now). But in the age where most people get ads through their start menu nowadays, excuse me "suggestions" (unless they are able to still shut it off, but that would depend on version of OS), this is probably not that big of a deal.

Just thought I would bring that up, since I seem to recall a couple of ad centric posts on here and complaints related to.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I get why people don't like ads especially when they are plastered all over the place in an unappealing way but at the end of the day, if a site can't pay the bills with ads because people turn them off, they will just start making you pay to use their site. Most of the major and local newspapers figured that out. They tried the ad model and it wasn't working so almost all of them have paywalls now. It's why Netflix is going to have an ad level subscription and a more expensive non-ad subscription. The more ad blockers used, the more paywalls that will go up.

WildWestDesigns

I get why people don't like ads especially when they are plastered all over the place in an unappealing way but at the end of the day, if a site can't pay the bills with ads because people turn them off, they will just start making you pay to use their site.
There are a couple of problems here.

Having 3rd party code is a vector. The site doesn't have to be attacked directly, only the server that hosts the ads. That can be everything from just having the click pay a different entity (not the site that one is wanting to support), to having something far more malicious happen.

Also, we aren't talking about random ads, unless one clears out everything, has the browser set to forget history etc, but they are also gathering search history and relaying that to the server and on it's face just delivering ads. That's a little spooky from the get go. Of course, if one takes steps to get around the info gathering, there are some far out outlandish ads that get delivered.

Now, if a site's only revenue stream is from ad services like we are talking about, that's one thing, I can understand that a little bit more. But if a site also has higher paying members for even more perks, that does have a negative impact on those that bought those higher rung memberships as well. Or at least it did for me, but that could just be me. I'm speculating that that affected others as well.

Personally, I would go with a paywall versus having the blight that is the ad services. I would prefer to do a more direct support compared to just having crude being delivered to me and always a potential issue security wise.

As to Netflix and others, there are other forces tugging at them that is causing those issues.

Mozilla Forever!
While I use LibreWolf, a fork of Firefox, Firefox does have it's own issues (not to mention, a good chunk of their operational change comes from Google as well, or at least it did last I checked, which has been awhile). However, I still go with Firefox to help keep some alternatives out there for rendering engines. Outside of Chromium, and Firefox, there is just Webkit (which is Safari and less feature rich browsers like Epiphany), so really most of the dominance is with Chromium right now. Sad, but true.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There are a couple of problems here.

Having 3rd party code is a vector. The site doesn't have to be attacked directly, only the server that hosts the ads. That can be everything from just having the click pay a different entity (not the site that one is wanting to support), to having something far more malicious happen.

Also, we aren't talking about random ads, unless one clears out everything, has the browser set to forget history etc, but they are also gathering search history and relaying that to the server and on it's face just delivering ads. That's a little spooky from the get go. Of course, if one takes steps to get around the info gathering, there are some far out outlandish ads that get delivered.

Now, if a site's only revenue stream is from ad services like we are talking about, that's one thing, I can understand that a little bit more. But if a site also has higher paying members for even more perks, that does have a negative impact on those that bought those higher rung memberships as well. Or at least it did for me, but that could just be me. I'm speculating that that affected others as well.

Personally, I would go with a paywall versus having the blight that is the ad services. I would prefer to do a more direct support compared to just having crude being delivered to me and always a potential issue security wise.

As to Netflix and others, there are other forces tugging at them that is causing those issues.

While I use LibreWolf, a fork of Firefox, Firefox does have it's own issues (not to mention, a good chunk of their operational change comes from Google as well, or at least it did last I checked, which has been awhile). However, I still go with Firefox to help keep some alternatives out there for rendering engines. Outside of Chromium, and Firefox, there is just Webkit (which is Safari and less feature rich browsers like Epiphany), so really most of the dominance is with Chromium right now. Sad, but true.
Oh believe me, I'm the crazy uncle who won't use rewards cards because I don't need 7/11 tracking me. The current way ads are done is pretty invasive for sure.