• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Ford Transit Connect 2013-2018

liam forsey

Hi all,

Graphic designer turned as it seems vehicle graphic applicator as well as designer.

My question is this, these units, the connects, have a fairly extreme compound contour over the rear wheel wells. I will be using fluid, the proper fluid for the avery dennison vinyl we're using, and a heat gun. Should that and some attention and care be enough to do em well? only 2/50 units fit in this category everything else is contoured on one axis only.

If anyone has any advice related to applying over compound contours, or the connects specifically i would be most appreciative. Attached a picture of the area for good measure.

Thanks, Liam @ ForseyDesigns

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-16 at 4.44.07 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-16 at 4.44.07 PM.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 283

Reveal1

That area should be an easy install using a cast vinyl. Sounds like you've been thrust into unfamiliar territory. Suggest you youtube and/or go to manufacturer website for basic application techniques until you have a chance to line up a new job. If your manager is expecting you to apply with no experience or training, run as far and fast as possible.

liam forsey

That area should be an easy install using a cast vinyl. Sounds like you've been thrust into unfamiliar territory. Suggest you youtube and/or go to manufacturer website for basic application techniques until you have a chance to line up a new job. If your manager is expecting you to apply with no experience or training, run as far and fast as possible.

We're using avery sc950 gloss black. i have basic application figured out, and i kinda volunteered. this company is one i have worked for before and the ceo is actually doing me a favor by putting me in a position that will rapidly make my portfolio far far more appealing than it currently is. ive been doing graphic design and digital art since high school but not for pay, so this is not only a great opportunity to get some reference worthy experience, but also a very well paid potential life career position as i truly like this boss, and he clearly wants me around hes shorted no expense to get me to come back and work for him.

Appreciate the look out though it very well could be under different circumstances.

Im most concerned about the compound convex curve over the wheel well, i see issues arising from the compound convex to single axis concave transition. using fluid and a heat gun and a squeegie should do it though as long as i make sure i know what im doing and dont get complacent yeah?

It seems like a lot of stretch to not crease the concave its 1.5" high point to low point and thats a roughly 3' by 1' area.

Baz

What are you sticking?
A solid panel or cut lettering/graphic?

If it is cut lettering i would just hinge it from the top and work my way down.
Even cutting vertical sections between letters (after it is hinged) in order to work with smaller pieces.

If it is a solid piece.
Standard cast vinyl i would use an application fluid. Heat and push in the raised sections after.
It would be an easy to install if you would be using a vinyl with air escape adhesive. (little channels in the adhesive. Every brand has it)

Avery sc-950 does not need primer. And i don't think the 3M primer works with Avery anyway. You will screw up the adhesive.

That is not an extreme compound area IMO.

liam forsey

What are you sticking?
A solid panel or cut lettering/graphic?

If it is cut lettering i would just hinge it from the top and work my way down.
Even cutting vertical sections between letters (after it is hinged) in order to work with smaller pieces.

If it is a solid piece.
Standard cast vinyl i would use an application fluid. Heat and push in the raised sections after.
It would be an easy to install if you would be using a vinyl with air escape adhesive. (little channels in the adhesive. Every brand has it)

Avery sc-950 does not need primer. And i don't think the 3M primer works with Avery anyway. You will screw up the adhesive.

That is not an extreme compound area IMO.

Roger. Thats the kinda info i was after thank you kindly. i definitely planned on making sure the fluid and vinyl were compatible.

Cheers, Liam