• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Ford Transit sealant between panels

ZipSeb

I was wondering what installers do with the silicone/caulk sealant between both panels on the driver side of a Ford transit Van... I have a full sticker to install in the window panels and will be going over the seam. tha van is dark grey and the print is beige/brown flooring picture, so cutting it back 1/8" from the sealant will be an eye sore.

Black Star

Not A New Member
Not sure what others do but I've always cut it back. Vinyl doesn't stick to the sealant and I can see how it would fail over time and could cause bigger issues.

signheremd

Cut it back or remove the sealant and clean with alcohol. If you cross over the sealant, the vinyl will not adhere and water will end up getting behind and cause more of the vinyl to lift.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I think most of them are painted, seam sealer goes on before painting. I usually cut them but don't trim it back. I have no formal training so take that with a grain of salt.

ZipSeb

I have always cut it back 1/8" from sealant also, but that was mostly on cut vinyl graphics. After much thoughts, I decided to install over the sealant using Primer 94 on both sides of the sealant, I have also sealed to top with a bean of clear silicone as well as the bottom. I have mentioned to my client to keep an eye on it and let me know ASAP if anything appears from it... I will use this as a trial for future knowledge.
Thank You to all that have given their opinion, I appreciate it.